Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chuco

AI: Am I missing something here?

3 posts in this topic

I'm just dumbfounded how a technology can bring out peak stupidity in almost every group. The nerds, the uneducated, the left, the right, the east, the west. Everyone. Am I the only one who doesn't get the hysteria?

Especially the nerds...holy f*k. Aren't these supposed to be reasonable and rational people? And yet all I hear is them making a massive leap from detailed replications of human behavior, acing college tests, to killer robots and then "everyone will die". No evidence to back it up. No reference point on how we get from A to B. Just pure imagination. These people are more creative than Spielberg. 

It seems like for the nerd/scientist, anything that they can't explain away their minds is coming out to eat them. 

And of course we have to hear about the obligatory 'we might inadvertently create minds that destroy us'. Aside from this being the 100 millionth time that we've heard this, no progress can be made without it hurting someone else's livelihood/existence. But I'm glad that they finally noticed that runaway technology and rationality is maybe not a good thing. It just would've been nice for them to realize that BEFORE they indoctrinated an entire population into thinking that they are the thought leaders and making people suffer with their endless speculation, encroaching on areas where they have no place whatsoever. 

Honestly, I see these infantile reactions as a GREAT sign. That means someone's BS is under threat. If anything, I HOPE the robots come because that might finally force us to break out of this endless cycle of stupidity. It might finally force us to smarten up. 

And if this is the only reason for our existence...to build an AI more advanced, to be a stepping stone for the next evolution....so be it! That would mean we're finally reaching our destination. We should rejoice, not cower. 

If not, at least please, PLEASE have them replace the nerds, and breed them out of existence. Take the nerds if no one else.

The problem with existential threats is that if you don't take them seriously early, then it becomes too late.

An AI arms race seems quite dangerous. Once it starts it will be very difficult to stop.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Yes it's too much. All the fear, drama, negative speculations. I think that AI is more likely to improve lives than to destroy them. For first and for most it will free people from the need to work that much. People will have more free time to take care of themselves and think about their lives, to do more meaningful stuff and to be bothered with things in life that are truly matter.

Let Love In