Echoes

Symbolic Interpretation Of The Waking State

5 posts in this topic

Ramana Maharshi once responded to the question "What is the difference between dreaming and the waking state?" -> "There is no difference between the dream and the waking state except that the dream is short and the waking long"

Since it is possible to interpret and analyze dreams, I wonder if it's also possible to analyze our "waking" state dream? The world is consciousness; we are the world as we are the dream world. Are there recurring and known symbolic patterns who appear in ones field of awareness? I know that such things as Synchronicity exist, which are described as "meaningful coincedences", but I am especially interested in the interpretation of these recurring messages. 

Are there any books or resources in general who dive into the interpretation of "physical" forms/recurring symbols/etc? What can they tell us about our individual and collective unconscious? Can we use the same books that concentrate on interpreting dreams and dream symbols to interpret our waking dream?

For example: When you go to a therapist and tell him that a specific animal is recurring in your dreams over and over, he might analyze this dream symbol and interpret it in a certain way to tell the patient what the meaning of this figure has about the unconscious mechanism or the specific condition about the patient. If I go in the forest now in the waking state everyday for a week and I see a specific animal over and over again, can I do the same interpretation with this?

This video got me interested in the topic, but it's more about how to live here if you know that it's just a dream and not really about the interpretation

Edited by Echoes

11 minutes ago, Nahm said:

All science, religion, etc, is all analytics of the waking state. 

But what they are doing is observing patterns/laws to find out how this dream works and why it does exist. But it doesn't usually tell us anything about what the appearances in our field of awareness tell us about our own being, our own unconscious. They usually think that there is a consensus material reality that consists of objects without any meaning to consciousness.

@Echoes 'they' are observing, you are your whys. We are the patterns & laws. Many people, even enlightened people, have yet to realize what you are talking about / realizing right now. They project their beliefs unknowingly from ignorance. We all do. Where that line is, is actually up to each of us, since we are each the observer in the 'equation'. Many say 'there is no other', 'all is one', and they accept the paradigm of enlightenment, and therefore, never explore the paradigm of choice. Yes, I realize this is not a popular view. The ego loves nothing more than to say 'I've found the line'  'the final enlightenment'. There is no such thing, because we are the choice, the content of the choice, and the chosen. There is no such 'line'. Just choices. How can you be sure - it's inherent in the cycle or loop. You can observe people, and you can see that when you offer information that reveals to them a contradiction in their 'line' wisdom, their ego will be fuled and they become angry, or they will quietly refuse to assimilate that information, and bow out. The ego is comfy in it's line paradigm. Another observable facet of this....look through old threads, notice that they all end in this exact place. Choice denial. 

Edited by Nahm

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm I dont wanted to discuss the whole free will vs. determinism thing and if we have any choice. I'm not really sure about this and what is true. 

Maybe I'm not good in expressing what exactly I meant. I'll try again:  A dream in the night generally happens to us (as long as we are not lucid) and reflects situations in our lifes, unfullfilled desires, unconscious traumas/beliefs/conflicts, etc.  For this, the dream "uses" various phenomenon such as special circumstances, metaphorical situations, specific objects, and so on. They all arise in the field of awareness (the same field that is aware of the "waking" state). And for this dream language, various techniques have arisen who try to interprete and analyze these objects and other stuff. For example:

"Circle 
To see a circle in your dream symbolizes perfection, completeness, immortality and/or wholeness. On a less positive note, it may also mean that you are going around in circles in some situation. Or the circle can indicate monotony and endless repetition"

I would say that the same (that the waking state is happening to us) is true so long as we are asleep and not aware of our true nature. But when we wake up from this "waking" state and become lucid in THIS everyday reality, we may shift the direction of our reality completely, as we can shift the direction of our night dream when we become lucid. So in the waking state too, symbols/situations etc are arising in the field of awareness.

My question is: When circles for example occuring in ordinary waking reality, can I jump to the same conclusion that they have any meaning about my state of consciousness; that they are maybe trying to communicate something to me that's hidden in my unconscious realms? Why should this only apply to the night dream? 

Edited by Echoes