Mesopotamian

The Plight of Iraqi Children: A Personal Encounter with Homelessness and Hardship

1 post in this topic

I was walking through a bustling market in one of Iraq's cities when I noticed a young boy, about ten years old, looking frightened and alone. He clutched a bottle of detergent and a small squeegee, his eyes fixated on the distance. Concerned for his safety, I approached him and asked if everything was okay.

The boy revealed that a shop owner, who was also a police officer, had tried to beat him up. He was clearly shaken by the experience, but refused my offer to speak to the man on his behalf. Instead, he simply wanted to avoid any further trouble.

As we continued to talk, I learned that the boy, Mahmood had no permanent home, and was living in a rented house with a stranger. The man only allowed the boy to stay if he could bring him $10 a day. Failure to do so would result in his eviction. The boy confided that his parents had passed away, and he had no family to turn to for help. Furthermore, there were other children in the house who did have parents, but they too were staying with the stranger.

I felt helpless in the face of his plight. The boy was alone, vulnerable, and in a precarious situation. I offered him food, but he declined and simply took a dollar from me. With a heavy heart, I bid him farewell and continued on my way.

The encounter left me feeling deeply saddened and troubled. It was a sobering reminder of the harsh realities that many people face in Iraq. Despite the challenges, however, the boy's courage and resilience left an indelible impression on me. I will not forget his story and will continue to think of ways to help those in need.