Bobby_2021

Writing kills your memory!

47 posts in this topic

I have been writing in essays in aphoristic style to myself since January 2020, my propensity to recall particular situations from my past days and weeks is not even a tenth of what it were prior to that.

At times this has been frustrating and emotionally draining, but I suspect more and more that it is a function of already given limited resources that were shifted into new tasks.

If you engage a nine year old in discussion you may pick up on their propensity to recall rapidly situations from their past week, you may remember being this way yourself, they simply do not have a richly developed interconnected structure of judgements available to them, instead they have the necessary precursor for it, would it be contrived to hypothesise that when the structure of judgements are so rich that the written word wills itself out of you perpetually that the spontaneous recall of the particular things to which those judgements applies have no longer the same use case? That this impairment of our memory happens even with the very phrasing of those words you use to express those judgements?

Another angle to the issue is the difference between writing things down immediately after having conceived of them and thinking them through in your head (when this is possible) before writing them down, this difference could be more relevant to the thread, from experience I have found that the insight comes back to me more often and with a higher intensity when I do this.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

18 minutes ago, Reciprocality said:

no longer the same use case

Update the judgements to fit the new use case. Those judgments are pivotal to holding all the information together in memory. You can say that the events are the leaves and the judgements are the tree that holds the leaves together. I would not use the word "judgements" though. A more appropriate word is understanding or analysis. 

You constantly have to evolve the understanding. That is the point of not writing everything down in the first place.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Update the judgements to fit the new use case. Those judgments are pivotal to holding all the information together in memory. You can say that the events are the leaves and the judgements are the tree that holds the leaves together. I would not use the word "judgements" though. A more appropriate word is understanding or analysis. 

You constantly have to evolve the understanding. That is the point of not writing everything down in the first place.

@Bobby_2021 Historical wisdom has given us a neat word for what we are talking about, the word is "judgement", "understanding" implies correctness, you have not understood that which you are incorrect about while a judgement refers to your relation with that which you may or may not have understood.

You make a good point about judgements holding information together in memory, it could easily lead to a conversation about the nature of the self and spontaneity, as these four categories ties neatly together and changes in how they operate together over time especially in developing years.

Edited by Reciprocality

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

@Bobby_2021 U GOT IT SO WRONG ... Like i am sorry but your mind and evrything you do is a habit even YOUR THINKING ... It depends how much your ego is in control of you . But i n those bad times when you cant make sense of all this or you are maybe depressed for some time  and you do something and go outside of comfort zone SUDDENLY its like you get a new thought it clicks ... 

you must write it ... Also your attitude is changed by repetion of the diffrent world view and new lense you constantly reinforce on things ... So changing habits its changing your character which changes your destiny . Thats how u change who you are ... Because you are not anybody who you are rn is just a role you been playing and if you want to change it its just getting out of comfort zone in all ways thinking acting beeing so ye . 

8 hours ago, Reciprocality said:

Historical wisdom has given us a neat word for what we are talking about, the word is "judgement", "understanding" implies correctness, you have not understood that which you are incorrect about while a judgement refers to your relation with that which you may or may not have understood.

I don't disagree. But your judgements have a smaller scope. They will crumble down when the information with a new use case arrives. 

Understanding can knit together a bigger set of information. 

At the end of the day, they serve the same purpose. 

Also judgements are also understanding. You understand the world through judgements.

6 hours ago, matoriii said:

zone SUDDENLY its like you get a new thought it clicks .

I am fine with typing it down or holding it in memory or integrating it with myself. 

Writing it on paper is kind of seperating myself from it, for better or worse. 

Anyways, I got here after developing myself to this stage. I used to write everything down on paper for more than 5 years and then I ditched it for something better. Do what works for you. 

There isn't just enough paper in the world to write down all your insights and it's too slow.

I literally write insights down out of survival. 

Nothing is worse then forgetting a juicy insight. 

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present. 

1 hour ago, ZenSwift said:

I literally write insights down out of survival. 

Nothing is worse then forgetting a juicy insight. 

Writing down on insight is taking time away from letting more insights flow and getting it integrated to yourself.

Do what works anyway. I used to write for a while then I stopped. I do type my insights now.:)