Free Spirit

Cholesterol. Hdl & Ldl

5 posts in this topic

What do you find works best to raise your good cholesterol and lowering the bad.  I don't eat white bread, cream cakes or junk food. My HDL is reasonably good, and my LDL is a tiny bit high (which alerts the doctors), who of course suggest tablets, which I refuse to take.  So... anyone got ideas about virgin oils or eggs, what is good, what is bad... ???

Edited by ElenaO
Improving the title.

A question I have to answer nearly every day. Applause for my job:D

lowering LDL: eating more fiber (whole grain, vegetables...), less animal products, prefer low fat products, avoid sugar and alcohol (raises triglyceride levels)

raise HDL: sport, especially training endurance

(...)

What do you want to know specifically?

@Free Spirit To answer your question bluntly, stop eating meat, dairy, eggs and highly refined foods with lots of sugar or oils.

There is no amount of dietary cholesterol that is "good" for you.  Our bodies make all of the cholesterol we need.  Cholesterol is only found in meat, eggs and other animal products and eating foods with high amounts of refined sugar and saturated fat promote "bad" cholesterol.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hbc

"Your body needs some cholesterol to make hormones, vitamin D, and substances that help you digest foods. Your body makes all the cholesterol it needs. However, cholesterol is also found in some of the foods you eat."

Phocus on eating plant based foods :)

• beans
  • rice
  • peas
  • lentils
  • oats
  • fruits
  • vegetables

"It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

Presence.  Acceptance.  Purpose.