melontonin

How can each of us prepare for the AI revolution?

5 posts in this topic

EDIT: Apologies, I've only now seen the other recent threads about this. 

Hi, I hope you're all doing good.

The essential question I wanted to ask is what ideas people have for how they're going to prepare for the AI revolution specifically in a business and life purpose context. If you don't have time to read the rest of this post I'd still really appreciate hearing any ideas you have.

I've been seeing more and more indications that the AI Revolution is really starting to take off and it's making me feel anxious. As context, I'm 22 and still figuring out what my life purpose and business niche are, though I'm far enough along to know that it's going to involve the combination of cultivating wisdom/understanding and expressing it through arthouse cinema and poetic writing. I'm sure you've all seen that AI art is becoming more prevalent and it's making me anxious of my prospects but equally I don't think I could passionately pursue anything that wasn't artistic or poetic.

Potential solutions I've thought of so far:

• AI art won't have the depth of art created by someone who has cultivated wisdom, spirituality, and a connection with truth therefore depth is what will distinguish successful human-made art from both AI art and unsuccessful human art.
  • Reframing it in terms of how I could use AI art myself to boost my chances of success as opposed to seeing it only as a threat to me.

This has all been very specific to my niche but I'm interested in how people are looking at the AI revolution in general. What are your mindsets for approaching how AI will change the marketplace? How are you thinking about it in terms of your business and prospects of supporting yourself? Are there any ways you're planning on utilising AI for your business? 

Peace & Love 

Edited by melontonin

By only saying good things about AI in the hope that it will spare us from enslavement. ?

No, for real though, I think that AI won't be as big of an issue for artists as a lot of people think. I think it will enhance our ability to create art! I am a musician, and I would also love to make a video game, but that's just such a lengthy process and I would need to spend a lot of time figuring out how to code a game and I would need help for the graphic and level design etc. Imagine if you could make any game just by telling an AI what you want. Maybe you are even an artist and you can draw and so you give the AI a few reference images and tell it to design the game based on this concept art. I think it will broaden our overall understanding of what artistry means and I think it will lower the entrance bar for artists, in the same way the internet allowed more people to share their art with others. Back in the days you needed a lable and someone to print your CD's and you needed someone for marketing then you had to get your music video on TV and your music in the radio etc, but now you can just freely share whatever with whomever. That reduced the general quality of music, since every kid with a $5 mic and a laptop can make music, but it also allowed a lot of amazing artists who would've never made it anywhere in the old school music industry to shine. I think this is what is going to happen to all of art. Anyone will be able to share their ideas freely. It will still be helpful to have some artistic skills, as being able to draw for example would allow you to control the AI better than just using words, but I think it would make it easier for people who aren't passionate enough about their art to express themselves and their ideas. I think it will create interesting social dynamics between people, where you don't share someone else's meme anymore, but something you yourself made using AI.

But that's just my theory of what it may look like in the future. That's just speculation. It could literally be way worse, or much better than we could ever imagine.

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

50 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

By only saying good things about AI in the hope that it will spare us from enslavement. ?

No, for real though, I think that AI won't be as big of an issue for artists as a lot of people think. I think it will enhance our ability to create art! I am a musician, and I would also love to make a video game, but that's just such a lengthy process and I would need to spend a lot of time figuring out how to code a game and I would need help for the graphic and level design etc. Imagine if you could make any game just by telling an AI what you want. Maybe you are even an artist and you can draw and so you give the AI a few reference images and tell it to design the game based on this concept art. I think it will broaden our overall understanding of what artistry means and I think it will lower the entrance bar for artists, in the same way the internet allowed more people to share their art with others. Back in the days you needed a lable and someone to print your CD's and you needed someone for marketing then you had to get your music video on TV and your music in the radio etc, but now you can just freely share whatever with whomever. That reduced the general quality of music, since every kid with a $5 mic and a laptop can make music, but it also allowed a lot of amazing artists who would've never made it anywhere in the old school music industry to shine. I think this is what is going to happen to all of art. Anyone will be able to share their ideas freely. It will still be helpful to have some artistic skills, as being able to draw for example would allow you to control the AI better than just using words, but I think it would make it easier for people who aren't passionate enough about their art to express themselves and their ideas. I think it will create interesting social dynamics between people, where you don't share someone else's meme anymore, but something you yourself made using AI.

Exactly this. It is going to allow an explosion in the art field. The naysayers you see are simply the low-hanging fruit trying to gatekeep the industry.

Edited by thepixelmonk

I think that everyone should watch all of the Terminator movies, because one day robots will take over the entire planet.

We all need to prepare for judgment day. 

Edited by Hardkill

Screenshot_20221226-114426.jpg

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus