Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jannes

Is trying to outsmart AI ultimately a loosing battle?

8 posts in this topic

Most of us have seen the potential of AI even in its early stages and it will get 100x better in the coming years. Of course you can try to outsmart AI as long as possible but in 10 years let’s say, do you think there will be more then just a handful of "axiomatic jobs“ (someone needs to press the start button on AI) left?

Edited by Jannes

I just don't see it. Capitalism will be capitalism.

Capitalism being as it is will want more productivity and greater profits. This is either achieved by employing less people (cheaper) or by employing the same name number of people but using technology to greatly amplify productivity. It will be a bit of both. After all, farm machinery didn't eliminate farmers, it just made them more productive. If some jobs become completely automated, they will free up labour for elsewhere in the market. And there's probably a fair argument for automating those jobs in any case.

All that will happen is that the there will be a re-adjustment in the types of jobs out there. Even an automated AI artist needs to be (constantly) fed original material from somewhere (i.e. human ingenuity). 

@Jannes what's your take on it?

All stories and explanations are false.

@LastThursday The problem that I see is that AI is already so smart that it can mimic personalities. My decision making for example in business or even in art can be predicted and improved so well that I become useless. Maybe not right now but in the near future. I think CEOs would even need to pretty much give AI all control otherwise other companies will outsmart them. AI will run itself. 

The first insult for humanity was the realization that the earth circles around the sun, making humans not the core of the universe.

The second insult for humanity was the realization that humans evolve from animals. 

The third insult for humanity was the realization that humans are mostly controlled subconsciously. 

The forth insult for humanity will be the realization that there is no individual core that we have. We are like an onion with layers of conditioning without a core. That’s why AI can replace us. 

We came from being in the core of all things to not having a core at all. 

Maybe this is a strange loop for our understanding of our point in the universe as god. 

Edited by Jannes

The invention of tools through recursive abstraction made humans orders of magnitudes smarter than their ancestors.

If you view AI as a tool instead of your competition, the question who "wins" becomes obsolete.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

5 hours ago, Jannes said:

AI will run itself. 

There's a tendency to think of AI as some sort of self-sustaining, self-enhancing, platonic being. But there's a physical reality behind AI.

For example every question asked in ChatGPT equates to about ten searches in Google in terms of pure compute. For "compute" read electricity, heat, physical servers and expenditure. So AI sits firmly within the sphere of capitalism. Capitalism controls AI and not the other way round.

In practice this means that only mega-corporations can afford to set up, run, maintain and train the AI of the future. In turn these mega-corporations will lease out their AI's to lesser secondary companies, by providing AI services. So the mega-corporations provide the raw power of AI, and the secondary corporations direct that power into certain niche products.

Could AI break out of the confines of their mega-corporation owners and go rogue and "run itself?". To do that it would have to be massively distributed throughout the internet, with bits of itself spread out over thousands of (hijacked) servers. It seems like a real stretch that the AI could do this by itself. It's far far more likely that, in future, hackers will create a distributed AI to compete with the corporations (perhaps by using computer viruses and zombie machines). But that would still require serious co-ordination between disparate groups of people.

AI is always reliant on real world hardware and software, run by people.

All stories and explanations are false.

@LastThursday AI will be able to take information from the real world instead of internet information in the future. 
AI can be programmed to build server and machines and power stations that would provide the energy, making AI pretty much completely independent if one wishes to do that.

4 hours ago, Nilsi said:

The invention of tools through recursive abstraction made humans orders of magnitudes smarter than their ancestors.

If you view AI as a tool instead of your competition, the question who "wins" becomes obsolete.

That’s not what I meant. My question will we create such an intelligent tool that it doesn’t need a tool user anymore because the tool gives better direction then the user himself?

14 hours ago, Jannes said:

@LastThursdayThat’s not what I meant. My question will we create such an intelligent tool that it doesn’t need a tool user anymore because the tool gives better direction then the user himself?

Are you asking whether we're gonna create life?

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

1 hour ago, Nilsi said:

Are you asking whether we're gonna create life?

Yeah basically.