Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Diane

From Half-assed Medical Student To Worldclass Cardiologist

449 posts in this topic

Turn sh*t into gold

I love this quote from the book "The 50th law"! I was reminded of it by some not-so-nice words from my father this evening. In the past I used to suffer for this wondering why he behaves the way he does.. Tonight this was just a reminder for me of one of the reasons I want to find a part-time job that allows me to live alone or with my fiancé. So now I'm quite grateful for that... ;)

Amazing things that happened today:

• My mom gave me a ride to the hospital this morning;
  • I really enjoyed tonight's bellydance lesson!! ^_^
  • I'm becoming more and more independent from the opinion of others. Everytime I notice someone judging me I silently tell them "go on judging me, just remember to be perfect for the rest of your life!" and if I've actually done something wrong I just acknowledge it and say to myself that it's a lesson learned.

Ways I could have made today better:

• Waking up at 5 as I want to do every day from monday to saturday.

Ways I got closer to becoming a wordclass Cardiologist:

• Going to the Cardiology clinic and actively participating to the work there;
  • Finally opening a book and studying!!

What I've learnt:

• I need to always have a clear idea of the big picture, of where I want to go and how to hit the target as smoothly as possible. While rewatching Leo's videos on mindfulness I realized that what I was looking for was just clarity on what is truely important and why it is so. Watching the video "how to live an extraordinary life" really helped me in doing so!! ^_^

The anxiety paradox

Today was the last day of my internship, it was amazing!! All these two months were really. While coming back home I started wondering if I was somewhat complacent during this period and didn't do, ask, study and learn as much ad I could. This reminded me of one day when I was feeling really nervous for the thing I was about to do and then cheered myself up saying that feeling anxious just meant I was doing the right thing. Another day not feeling so anxious as I would have before in a similar situation I told myself that this meant that I finally had internalized the fact that worrying is useless.. Kinda tricky!! ^_^

• It was a beautiful sunny day, spring is in the air!! Soon I will be able to run at 6am, yeeeeee!! :D
  • Everything went perfectly at the hospital;
  • I managed to pack for my imminent trip to Switzerland and be on time for the swim class. 

• Having the courage to say everything I thought.

• Going to the Cardiology clinic and actively participating to the wprk there.

What I've learnt:

• I need to challenge myself everytime I can.

Where you don't arrive with tour head you arrive with your feet

Yesterday I fell asleep right before clicking "submit reply" and my phone didn't keep in memory what I had written so now I'm here rewriting everything...

Amazing things that happened yesterday:

• I arrived in Switzerland!! I'm staying here for a week with my mother, we're here for the confirmation of his godson. I really love seeing new places, people and ways of living!! :D
  • We're staying to a wonderful family.
  • I meditated in airplane!!

• Studying whenever I had the time and energy.

• None.. :S

What I've learnt:

• To always trust myself;
  • Wine is not my thing, it makes me too sleepy;
  • Writing this journal in bed is not a good idea...

My first life purpose statement

Today I came up with my first life purpose statement and it sounds like this: "to do plenty of research and public speaking to make people more conscious about their health". For "health" I mean physical and mental well being.. I can't wait to finish the life purpose course!! :D

• We visited a beautiful little church here in Fribourg
  • I ate an avocado!!! I love avocados!!
  • I noticed that the house we're staying in has under floor heating, such an amazong thing for someone like me whose feet are always cold!!

• Finding the time to study something besides doing the life purpose course.

• No one again... :|

What I've learnt:

• To notice in wich ways I embody the characteristics/behaviours I criticize in other people around me.

Private victories

Today I won two small internal struggles: not eating that tasty beignet because I decided not to eat sweets and following trough on my decisionto stop watching the voice at 11. Well done D!! :D

• We visited another beautiful church, the one where the cerimony will tale place tomorrow. I think I'll never get tired of seeing new churches!!
  • I ate an excellent soup for lunch. Actually, it's been a while since I started eating tasty and healty food. It's amazing having the opportunuty to do it also when I' not home.
  • I ate two mandarin oranges!!

• Waking up earlier
  • Actually helping instead of thinking of helping. 

• Studying some ECG

What I've learnt:

• To trust myself.

• I participated to a wonderful comfirmation;
  • I had the occasion to see again some beautiful people I hadn't seen in years, they all were very inspiring!!
  • I didn't keep myself from speaking even if I couldn't translate very well what I wanted to say from Italian to Kirundi.. :)

• Studying/reading during the 40 minutes I slept in.

• No one... :|

What I've learnt:

• Just being myself is always the best choice.

Savouring things

Today I consciously savoured two things: the snow falling on me this afternoon and the deliciois meal I had this evening. Talk about the power of the subconscious... I set the intention to be more mindful and here I am savouring day-to-day stuff, astonishing!!

• I assisted to a beautiful singing lesson;
  • I decided to take it easy as long as I'm here in Fribourg because while I'll still be able to read/study/do all the things I have to when I'll go back home I won't be able to savour and experience what is here;
  • I have almost passively made 10000 footsteps.. :) 

• Being more present

• Studying some ECG

What I've learnt:

• Not to take anything for granted.

Letting go of unuseful habits
I know that, as Leo says, cheerfulness is the best attitude towards life but I still get bitter or resentful to people at times.. So dear subconscious it's time to let those negative habits go where they belong to make space for the strong and positive ones waiting at the door!!

• I passed a wonderful night out seeing a family in Lausanne, I hope I'll come back soon!!
  • The family I'm staying at keep surprising me on how a beautiful family they are;
  • I received lots of gifts from the family we went to visit! 
  • I started a course on nutrition. :D

• Studying something cardiology-related.

• I made some research on specializing here in Switzerland. I definitely need some clarity on where I want to specialize...

What I've learnt:

• I'm not better nore worse than the others around me, I'm just me and that's perfectly fine. ^_^

Oh gosh if I need to change

I just finished watching Leo's video on fake vs real growth, what an eye-opener! As I wrote yesterday, one of the difficulties I have right now is mantaining a positive attitude towards people and life in general. I definitely will rewatch Leo's video on positive thinking and maybe add some positivity affirmations in my morning routine.

• It was a very nice last day in Fribourg;
  • I really enjoyed the dinner I had, it was delicious from the first forkful to the last one;
  • I assisted to a nice dance lesson.

• Studying something.

• No one...

What I've learnt:

• Changing my habits and pursuing success is ok but I also have to change the way I am and my attitude towards people and life in general.

It's all internal in the end, ins't it? Amazing effort, you can not fail. :) 

:ph34r:

@Cabot you're right, it's all about the internal game, which is also the most difficult one and that's why we tend to focus more on the externals.. But as Leo once said the hard way is the easy way and the easy way is the hard one... Thank you for the reminder!! :)

Done is better than perfect

Yesterday I didn't quite know what to write so I said let's go to bed for a moment and call my boyfriend, I'll be right back. Oh sweet summer child!! xD So about yesterday:

Amazing things that happened:

• Me and my mum were able to take an airplane to go back home even if we had arrived too late for the one we were supposed to take;
  • I actually re-watched some of Leo's videos on emotional mastery and decided to add writing "what I'm excited about today" to my morning routine. I'll write it here. The aesthete side of me doesn't like it very much but again done is better than perfect.
  • I came back home! It's nice travelling and seeing the world but also being home had its advantages!! :D Things like listening again to the people I follow on YouTube, I really missed it!! 

Ways I could have made tje day better:

• STUDYING SOMETHING!!

• No one again... :(

What I've learnt:

• Done is better than perfect (yes my dear subconscious, I'm talking to you!! ).
  • I definitely shoud start reading books in English instead of just listening to audiobooks..
Edited by Diane

What I'm excited about today:

• I'm running again!!!
  • I'll restart studying seriously. :)

So, yeah...

Yesterday I didn't write and I didn't even catch up this morning. This too shoud be a red flag... Anyways, it's been a while since I had some doubts about my relationship. Yesterday I finally realized that it doesn't align in any possible way to my values.. What I need is some clarity on what are my standards in a relationship, this is my first boyfriend so I don't have anything to compare with except from other couples I see around me. A couple that I really admire is Alex and Mimi Ikonn's, maybe I'll rewatch their video on how to have a great relationship.. It seems like becoming a worldclass Cardiologist will be easier than having a happy and fulfilling relationship... Anyhow I need to work on myself to achieve both so I'll start by focusing on that!

• I rewatched Leo's videos on relationships, they were super useful!!
  • I took some time to reflect on my relationship.

Ways I could have made today better:

• Finding some time to study too.

• I think that reflecting on my relationship counts because when you're in a good relationship you also tend to be better at your work..

What I've learnt:

• Clarity is everything.

Things I'm excited about today:

• Watching Leo's new video;
  • Earning the money I need to buy a Cardiology book I want. :)

Finally some clarity on my way

This evening I took the time to answer the questions:

• Ways I need to change and practical actions I can take to do it;
  • What my standards in a relationship partner are and what I need to be to stay in a relationship with a persone like that;
  • How I'm living up to my top 10 values.

I shoud have written it on the computer so that I could copy and paste it here.. Anyway the three principal actions that I need to take are:

1. Smile more :);
  2. 7 days positivity challenge;
  3. Be 100% authentic.

• I started my three days of babysitting my neighbour's children and everything went all right;
  • I finally got some clarity on what I specifically need to do to grow myself;
  • I scheduled what I'm doing tomorrow, it's been a while since I've done that part of my evening routine.

• Getting out of bed earlier.

• Exercising for the written part of my bar exam.

What I've learnt:

• The way to happiness pass through authenticity.

What I'm excited about today:

• Running!!
  • Giving my hair some love :x
  • Following plan A to the letter. :)
  • Starting my 7 days positivity challenge. ^_^^_^^_^

Love happens?
Or maybe I let it happen.. I passed the afternoon with my boyfriend so I didn't study but we had the time to talk about our situation.. So now with this relationship I'm living at least one of my top 10 values, honesty, as I decided to be 100% authentic. By being authentic I may also embody the first one, personal growth.

Amazing things that happened today:

• I woke up at 5, yeeeeeeah!!! :D
  • I realized once more how lucky I am;
  • I was 100% authentic with my boyfriend,  better late than never...
  • I started my 7 days positivity challenge!! :D

Ways I could have made today better:

• Putting studying before everything else.

• Reducing the total amount of time I pass with my boyfriend and increasing its quality.

What I've learnt:

• No one can achieve my goals for me so I'd better always put myself first.

What I'm excited about today:

• Finally studying seriously!!
  • I'll run this afternoon :D
  • Going on with my 7 days positivity challenge!!

Wrong by wrong I rise [Eddie Pinero's quote]

I'm slowly learning to prioritize and to understand the fact that time is always enough if I don't waste it in unimportant things..

Amazing things that happened today:

• I found the belts for running my BFF gave me as a gift just before giving up the search!! I literally started jumping for the happiness!!! :D:D:D
  • I'm loving my 7 days positivity challenge!!
  • My mum asked me what meditation is for me and I had the occasion to briefly tell her everything I know about meditation, it was amazing!! I deeply love sharing my knowledge!! :x

• Following plan A as it was.

• Studying for the bar exam.

What I've learnt:

• It's better to check out the weather forecast before going out to run... The rain made me run faster than I would have otherwise though, as we say in Italian "not all evil come for harming"..
  • Being present also while doing little tasks is fundamental!!