LifeandDeath

"integrity" And The Relationship To Not-self & Nonduality

8 posts in this topic

I've just been heavily involved in the last year or two on the studies, meditation and practices of attaining the perspective of "not-self" and more recently "non-duality", which seem to be highly inter-linked from my understanding. 

I have learnt to apply a more sharper and heightened definition of the word "integrity" which seems to be a kind of glue to the concepts that can be directly applied to the practice to make the direct experience of 'not-self' and in particular 'non-duality' all the more real. 

So firstly, given the breadth of each of these subjects, let me outline what I mean to be clear by giving a short definition of what I'm specifically referring to, then it would be interested to hearing your thoughts: 

1. not-self: the very fact that our awareness and perceptions within our awareness is an also all that makes us up human experience. Perceptions come and go and are continuously changing. Also, that we are neither an independent object of our awareness and perceptions. So, we are a bundle of experience that is not us but that we can't seperate from. 

2. non-duality: our individual subjective experience is everything, yet nothing at the same time. Awareness is all encompassing for the 'self' but for awareness to exist, then outside awareness needs to exist, which is 'nothing'. This oneness with our perceptions, and the duality between a unified subjective experience and the 'nothingness' behind the scene, is the connection point that we all seem to share. It's impossible for unity or duality to explain the whole picture but taken in balance of egoic self referential agenda and the all pervasive nothingness that all of our awarenesses are embedded in, then we arrive at a complete picture. 

3. Integrity: is an alignment between our "internal" and "external" world. If the divide between our internal and external world doesn't really exist given the existential framework of nothingness that it resides within and the fact that not-self asserts that there is really no external 'self' viewing the external world in the first place. So the one single reality exists for all of us must be aligned to satisfy both not-self and non-duality, given that there is a hard assertion that there isn't a divide in the first place! As a clearer example, this is clearly experienced when one practices 'mindfulness' or 'presence', when they concentrate on an object and then their inner world drops and they are just there with the object as one, but neither seperate or believing they are the object they are considering. 

So the reason as to why I see integrity as an important playing card in applying this approach, is because if you don't consider a private world to exist and there is complete harmony between one's perceived internal and external world, then one is more honest and at no disharmony with themselves and their environment, including others. 

I'm going to reply to my own topic to extend what I've said, from a different angle: 

If we are in absolute terms not our ego, and are a zero neutral dimensionless empty awareness field (I'll just call empty awareness from now on) where conscious qualia expresses itself, then it could be said that 'self' as we know it and identify with is not real. i.e. the practice of not self. So this means that what we identify with, such as objects of perception (such as our body) and feelings etc are not us, but our true nature is the empty awareness that we project out of, which through nonduality principals is the timeless and spaceless essence that we all share in common. So this then goes onto say that anything we experience is not us, and we should cling to it, but from a conventional point of view we are our ego, so survival is based on accepting this egoic projection as real, but the teachings say don't cling to it and think that our ego is really real or the absolute truth. Hence our perceived inner world and outer world is the same projection but categorised and labelled differently for sake of self-sustaining agenda by our ego minds with sole purpose as survival. We need to understand this to let it go. And when we let it go we can't escape it but we can at least put it in perspective. This means that in reality there is no really real distinction between our inner and outer world - and what goes on in both is just as real as each other, hence why the teachings emphasize 'thinking' and 'emotions' are just as important as 'speech' and 'actions'. Where I'm heading with this is then the association with 'integrity'. I have found 'integrity' or 'authenticity' requires the realisation that no inner world exists, i.e. dis-identification with a 'private world'. Hence we connect and take seriously the fact that what we have in our minds is absolutely connected with our outside world, hence no secrets, hidden emotions, thoughts that are not aligned to reality, guilt, feelings that are different to what you would show the outside world. Now, when this happens, isn't that called 'presence'. Can't you achieve that state when being 'mindful'. But, it's the next level. It's living like that. Now, it doesn't mean revealing your private life to everyone, and definately doesn't mean acting out your impulses, but it does mean when things arise that are unwholesome to let them go, and if they repeat it's about taking responsibility to see where they arise from and sorting out any latent incompleteness that is causing the thought that doesn't have integrity. I've started living this way and I have seen real shifts in how much 'integrity' has helped me be more mindful, present, finding inner peace and to be more genuine. It's helped me feel more connected with others and myself and reality. I'm interested in any questions or other views that people have on this.

Am I just re-creating practices that are already out there?

Is this new take on Not Self, NonDuality and Integrity that I'm practicing?

Does anyone else do this? 

Am I making sense? haha

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:59 PM, LifeandDeath said:

If we are in absolute terms not our ego, and are a zero neutral dimensionless empty awareness field (I'll just call empty awareness from now on) where conscious qualia expresses itself, then it could be said that 'self' as we know it and identify with is not real. i.e. the practice of not self. So this means that what we identify with, such as objects of perception (such as our body) and feelings etc are not us, but our true nature is the empty awareness that we project out of, which through nonduality principals is the timeless and spaceless essence that we all share in common.

Bro in my opinion your integration of the concepts: ego, no-self, and non-duality is accurate.

Here's the thing though... it is all intellectual.

When you have a direct experience of what you described... that is called enlightenment.

@Bodhi123 thanks for the feedback. I was waiting for someone to clarify this. 

The thing is, that I have directly experienced this. This is why I am spending time describing my experience... 

Where I'm heading with this is then the association with 'integrity'. I have found 'integrity' or 'authenticity' requires the realisation that no inner world exists, i.e. dis-identification with a 'private world'. Hence we connect and take seriously the fact that what we have in our minds is absolutely connected with our outside world

It's living like that.

I think you have it figured out, especially if you are describing direct experiences. Now the only question is how are you going to let your knowledge and insights shape your life going forward. From the sounds of it, you already know the answer.

Much respect to you, sincerely.

17 hours ago, Bodhi123 said:

I think you have it figured out, especially if you are describing direct experiences. Now the only question is how are you going to let your knowledge and insights shape your life going forward. From the sounds of it, you already know the answer.

@Bodhi123 you know what's funny, although I have this as my direct experience, I am unsure about what to do next. I've heard that enlightenment is emptiness, so it really can't give you anything... I am enjoying being in this frame of mind and returning to it when I phase out of it, but I'm really unsure about what to do next. 

I'm convincing myself to say what I've experienced is only a hair of the ox tail, as Leo said in one of his clips. This grounds me, and keeps my mind open to new possibilities. I'm very confident there are a whole lot more levels to reach, and I'm thinking a first enlightening experience is really just the beginning of the journey. 

Thanks, you have raised a good question: "How am I going to let my knowledge and insights shape my life?" 

This is something I'm working on, which is why I'm on the forum as I'm completing Leo's Life Purpose course along with a whole lot of other personal development stuff, so that I can face my fears, restructure my beliefs, and take this to a whole new level. 

I'm thinking of doing one-on-one Coaching perhaps, or get into a modality of personal development whether it's traditional or modern and practising that, so that way I can elevate others who are looking to have an enlightenment experience or two, or who are looking for more peace of mind. 

Thanks again @Bodhi123 for your responses, it means a lot. I find it difficult to talk to people in my direct network as I've done so much reading and practice on this topic I feel a little isolated - but I know there are like minded people who share the same experiences that I'm already attracting into my life.