Timotheus

Switching Majors After 2 Years

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I need some opinions from you. Please excuse my bad english. Thank you.

I've been studying business informatics(which is 70% computer science) for 2 years now. It never really fullfilled me it was only a choice out of the need of security. Since years I have been interested in Psychology, and it was always a dream for me to study psychology and to become a psychotherapist. I'm from germany and if your grades aren't good enough you can either wait about 6 years to get access to psychology or you can spend 100k++ on private universities. I think I've made a wrong choice, but there still are options left:

1)

I could study psychology in the netherlands, there they don't care about your grades, but I would be in debt of about 25k after the 4 years of studying. I'm already 23 and after that I'd be 28 which causes some limiting beliefs for me.. . Moving to another country wouldn't be a problem for me, since I've been moving from on place to another many times throughout my life.

2)

Start working and study part time, which includes a study program where they also wouldn't care about your grades, but this would be a pretty hard road which would last at least 10 years to get the masters degree, at least I probably wouldn't be in debt.

3)

Finishing my bachelors degree in business informatics and finding another way to follow this dream, but it's almost feeling like I'm selling my soul.

I haven't took the life purpose course yet, but I'm going to soon. I have a decision to make quite soon, since I don't want to go into too much debt.

Another question: This idea of studying psychology is popping up almost everyday recently and every month/week in the last years. Is this a sign of my intuition?

I'm really thankful for every advice you give me.

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it 

- A Course in Miracles

make sure that you ACTUALLY DO like psychology, and that the visions and dreams you have about studying psychology aren't just compulsive obsessions, or a common case of "the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence".

I was studying CS, and I thought I h8'ed it. I had this belief that i truly loved consciousness and PD, so I would love psychology. So I switched to psychology, as I thought it was my dream job. Though ironically, and surprisingly, I 8'ed that class as well!

Studying psychology is very different to reading about it in magazines. 

Make sure you have done a class in psychology before you decide to make a switch. Use your electives to obtain this first. You might be surprised with what the class is like!

I can relate to your situation because I studied business administration before switching my major to psychology. I have a bachelor’s degree (4-yr. degree) in psychology.

My recommendation is go with option 1. The 25k debt is an investment in a career that will bring you fulfillment and happiness. I also wouldn’t worry too much about your age you have a lot of life to live.

My last piece of advice is this: Make sure you are 100 % committed to putting in the time and effort it takes to get the Masters Degree in psychology. If it is your dream to become a psychotherapist it is MANDATORY that you get a graduate level degree in psychology (at least this is the case in the US)

It is your life @Timotheus be true to yourself.