Abhijeeth

Philosophy Courses

7 posts in this topic

Welcome .

What does one learn in philosophy during college and university?

21 hours ago, Abhijeeth said:

Welcome .

What does one learn in philosophy during college and university?

After the basics and history, you dive into studying different areas of philosophy and their key thinkers and theories. These areas include but are not limited to:

- Ethics, the study of morality

- Social and political Philosophy (different aspects of living in a society, e.g. equality, dividing of recources, government, law)

- Metaphysics (existence)

- Philosophy of science and knowledge, epistemology

- Philosophy of art, aesthetics

- Logic and argumentation

- Semantics and the philosophy of language

I believe that this is what is generally offered in most schools. Then it probably depends on a school what areas are stressed. It also depends on the continent. Here in Europe we have more European Philosophy, but in the U.S. they study more Anglo-American Philosophy, I would guess.

@Pallero In which branch does one learn about Relationships ?

Does psychology come under philosophy?

39 minutes ago, Abhijeeth said:

No, they are quite separate branches. 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

34 minutes ago, Abhijeeth said:

No, psychology is a different subject. Psychology is a science that strives to understand human mind and behavior through empirical study. Philosophy (the word literally means 'love of wisdom') is not a science. It's a lifestyle. :D No, but Philosophical conclusions are reached and theories constructed by e.g. logical reasoning, argumentation and in some cases other methods, but not so much the study of the physical world. Philosophical questions don't have answers. Leo, I think, has studied both in some form, and uses their combination.

A philosopher, who is interested in relationships, would probably ask what a relationship is, what components does it have and why do people have different relationships. But he wouldn't go out to interview or observe people like a psychologist. Instead, he would just think about it. 

As such, it wouldn't be under any specific area that I listed. It would be under all of them. You could think about metaphysics of a relationship, a relationship as a part of society, the ethics of a relationship et cetera.

So psychology is practical

Philosophy is theoretical.

Fascinating☺☺.. What does one learn in psychology?

2 hours ago, Abhijeeth said:

So psychology is practical

Philosophy is theoretical.

Fascinating☺☺.. What does one learn in psychology?

You could say that both of them are theoretical, but psychology is more practical than philosophy. Although there is also something called practical philosophy. :)

I don't know about psychology, since I haven't studied it, but I guess you learn how the human mind and brain works, as least according to the recent studies. You learn about emotions, neurosis, psychosis and different mental diseases. You also learn about human interaction, although that is more social psychology, which is yet another field.