ValleKnowsNothing

Dropping The Roles You Play Worksheet

4 posts in this topic

Hey Leo and friends,

Thank you for having such a community where we can all intetact with each other!!!

The other day I filled out the work sheet part of the "Dropping the Roles You Play" Video. The answers have made me lost.

I feel lost because I don't know how to move forward.

I feel lost because I dont know how to go about really dropping these roles and getting to the bottom of who I actually am.

I feel lost because I don't know if everything Ive been doing is useless and I should drop it or just continue with new perspective...

Below you find my response to the entire worksheet. Feel free to read through it .

Any helpful insight or perspecitve would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Valle

Dropping The Roles You Play Valle.docx

Edited by ValleKnowsNothing

I briefly scrolled through, and I think you've already uncovered so much and done so much work. Your awareness of your roles and how they impact you is really good. I doubt this is a quick process, and I think you've begun nicely. I just responded to another similar thread, and I feel just as lost as you with this task (I have a ridiculous number of roles personally *too many*, and am in the fucked up childhood category too!!! so, I am unable to get to the beginning so far, or even pinpoint the worst roles). When Leo used to have us do the work, during, or just after the video (with the questions in the video), I did all the work. I hadn't figured out how to view the worksheets until now (a decade ago I used to work 16 hour days on the computer, but now I am about as tech savvy as your average 100 year old...lol). Please let me know what you discover. The only advice I can offer based on what you wrote is to take each role, and view it as best you can as though you are looking through the eyes of your higher-self (your roles might eventually look as silly and ape like as Leo's goth example)....then think of the "you" that you desire to evolve into...and try to plan a map from the roles into the that you....keep in touch...

@ValleKnowsNothing Ok, so I've worked on this a lot more now too; I've barely begun...I think I have an idea for you about dropping roles, it's so simple, that's why we missed it. I think it's just more mindfulness. Once we shine a light on these roles, we can use our awareness to gradually transform ourselves (just like with other negative thought patterns)...the roles, like costumes, would simply begin to fall off of us, eventually leaving only our naked beauty shimmering beneath!

We have that direction now, mindfulness, with higher-self's opinions as a guide (like a north star), to keep us on the path to dropping them, awesome. That said, the initial steps are still confusing for me. Maybe you have some ideas for me?

First, I went through the whole video again and wrote down all of the roles. Apparently, I act out most of them (except a few, like "Macho" etc)...and there are more roles than Leo mentions too of course! Then, when it came to narrowing them down, I began to ponder if some of the ones that could also be classified as stereotypes were actually "roles", or just part of how I've evolved/ or feel I am perceived.

For example: if we take anarchist & bohemian: sure, I often buy my books at the anarchist store/ go those workshops etc...or live rustically in the forest with my long hair, lol...but...Do I actually put any effort into embodying these? (Admittedly, a little. I would never tell people I "am" these things, but there are things I do to make me "more" like that.)  Do I need to actually identify as the role? How often are the roles unintentional/ unconscious vs blatant projection? Are we mostly looking for insidiously hidden ones? Many people seem to have wounded bird. I have this one largely too, but acknowledging it in the top 3 is a challenge for me...because part of me feels like if I do, I would be simultaneously dismissing all of the progress I've made with my brain and physical injuries (notice my mention of injuries).  Dropping it seems "fake", like when I've tried to pretend my brain is the same, or when I've unsuccessfully tried to do things as though I magically no longer have physical injuries. While figuring out how to drop this as a *role*, would I still accept the reality of my injuries and their effects?  Is it just about not talking about injuries, or is it more internal? It's the same with victim or abused, the day I watched Leo's video, I changed how I respond, and am now a survivor (but this inherently indicates there was something to survive). Sure if someone was physically raping, or beating  me, or something, I'd be a victim during the assault, but I would not perpetuate that victim mindset afterwards.  How do you honour overcoming crap in the past which can still impact your choices, expressions, perceptions, etc.. while also detaching from it as a role?

Edited by Epiphany_Inspired