The Mystical Man

On Love and Death (Patrick Süskind)

2 posts in this topic

Süskind showed me how beautiful the German language can be. I didn't like German at all, until I read "Perfume". "Perfume" is a masterpiece of German literature, but, unfortunately, we know nothing about the author, because he lives as a recluse.

I just finished reading his essay "On Love and Death". It's good. If you don't understand German, Süskind's work is worth reading in English. 

"Perfume" was required reading twice during my schooling, but I didn't read it. When I read it voluntarily, I fell in love with it.

Edited by The Mystical Man

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

I have now read all of Süskind's books. I'm looking for more great German literature. I want to read beautiful and intricate prose. Please recommend great German texts, even if they're translations. The German translation of Huxley's Heaven and Hell, for example, is amazing.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins