Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bird Larry

Why we must learn to write: and also learn to be destructive with it

5 posts in this topic

Why we must write with a hammer in our fingers

Recently, I’ve got this feeling where if one does not know how to fight totally with their writing, one cannot sustain his status in civilization as an honorable, well-kempt citizen. Not that I am for society. I am completely against conformism. I mean by this to be a person who can form a proper relationship with people, the city, nature, country, and the Earth, etc. Nietzsche had wrote that he philosophizes with a hammer. Often when we read his books, we feel like something has gotten smashed in our minds. Something stupid, dull has gotten destroyed by the intelligent philosopher. We don’t feel he created something in us, I suppose, but he had broken something, which has its own immense value. We only do not realize the significance of it after we have subsided our emotional hurt from all the beating the philosopher has done!

One phrase had left a strong imprint in my mind. Churchill wrote that if one wishes to attain the highest bouts of power, higher than kings, he had written one has to write and speak tremendously. Just by those two skills, he wrote that anything in terms of politics can be accomplished. And Churchill in my estimation has done reasonably well with both attaining power and not abusing his power when he was a politician. Who had the courage as Churchill to defy Hitler when all felt and looked like Germany would conquer Europe in an instant, where even the English government were in favor of siding with Germany? At least, I feel he deserves a bit of respect for defying not only his enemies, but also defying his friends and his country to do what is right politically. And Churchill was actually the one who wrote constantly against Hitler and the Nazis before the erupted Blitzkrieg out of nowhere. Nobody believed him, until it happened right in Britain’s face. All the “war-mongering” he had done with his political essays and journals had come to fruition and he became prime-minister after gaining the populace and Neville Chamberlain resigned after being seen incompetent to negotiate with the Third Reich.

What am I trying to say with this?  Both practically and philosophically, writing texts with a hammer may bring immense value our lives. I will not go into philosophical debates whether fighting is a good thing or not, because even to consider this is rubbish. There is no question to what the right answer is. If we do not know how to defend ourselves and others physically, philosophically, spiritually, and intellectually, we are by all means, sterile. People think words have some spiritual eternal value in and of itself, so they become idealistic, romantic with their essays and oratory. However, how can one be truly skillful if he cannot see the reality of his own devices? The reality is that speech and texts are just as physical if not gross as our bodies, brains, and buildings. It is of the physical world, not of the spiritual world. Words are man-made, not of the heavens. Therefore, just like we cannot build new creative buildings unless we destroy old and weak buildings. We must be proactive with our words to both create and destroy. Only then will there be creativity. In all my life, I have never seen a single person who’s loving, who has never said a profane word in his life. Rather, a person who abstains from profanity and dark-humor had always felt vile to me, sneaky, underlings, and sometimes downright hypocritical, just like a person who always smiles. I never believe in a person who smiles at everybody.

I have heard from a spiritual-master, Rajneesh, say that if a father has never been angry at their children, he has never loved them. That if a father’s anger is cold, it becomes a hurt to the child, but if a father’s anger is hot and fiery, the child understands and would rather appreciate such earnest reactions from their father. This phrase had brung tears to my eyes because I had experienced both a fiery anger and a cold anger from my family. With fiery anger, I’ve felt refreshed and apologetic, with cold anger, I’ve felt wronged, molested, and crushed. I’ve always wished to be passionate and be a strong-hold for my friends, and so I wish I could be like this also with my writing. Not yet, I don’t see myself being such a prolific writer like Nietzsche or Churchill, but I know I will get there. Anyone who desires to do the right thing can get there. I sincerely can see many who read this essay will be able to understand the importance of being sincere in their speech and in their essays, whether it be creative or destructive.

With my simple English, I just want to say thank you for sharing this here. I've read it all and I like what's in it. 

On 8/24/2022 at 9:46 PM, Mesopotamian said:

With my simple English, I just want to say thank you for sharing this here. I've read it all and I like what's in it. 

I didn't know someone would actually read it 

Edited by Bird Larry

I read the whole thing, twice. I don't really have much to add or comment, just want to echo my thanks and appreciation as well.

I look forward to seeing the destruction (and creation) that your words will bring about in the future.

On 8/26/2022 at 10:34 AM, Yarco said:

I read the whole thing, twice. I don't really have much to add or comment, just want to echo my thanks and appreciation as well.

I look forward to seeing the destruction (and creation) that your words will bring about in the future.

Twice. Hahaha, I don't think of it as 'destruction!' per-say. However, as we do have to stand up for ourselves with our speech and with our mannerisms, I think it should be the same with our essays and books. Thanks for reading it, twice!

Edited by Bird Larry