7thLetter

Anxiety around a major life change/decision

2 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about moving out of my family's place for a while now. I'm 26 years old and I've been feeling so far behind in life compared to others and one of those reasons is because everyone else left their parent's house in their early 20s while I still live with my parents at 26. I feel a bit ashamed when people ask about my life like "What do you do?" "Do you go to school" "Do you drive" "Do you live with roommates?" While these types of conversations can make me uncomfortable at times, it actually does help me get off my ass.

I've been living in the same city for my whole life. It's comfortable for me to live here but it does get old and I want to experience someplace new. I decided to quit a somewhat comfortable job and look for jobs outside of my city which offer staff housing at a low cost. I found a shitty room cleaning job with decent pay and an ok but small housing accommodation with 2 other roommates. Of course this job is outside of my city and it's in a pretty nice city where a lot of tourists go to do skiing, hiking, biking, snowboarding, etc. So those are a few reasons why I chose this place, I like to be active and do things.

Everything sort of sounds good to me but I'm starting to have anxiety about it. I have to move there and start the new job in about 10 days. This would be my first time moving out of my parent's place, AND live outside of my city. Hopefully I will get along with my roommates too, I've already met them. Plus I don't know how I feel about this job, I only signed up for the wage.

I'm giving up my comfortable lifestyle for something else which is why it feels so wrong. I mean, people always talk about how you need to get out of your comfort zone to experience growth, which is why I'm doing it, but its such a major change all of a sudden that I don't know how to feel.

Any advice?

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

On 8/20/2022 at 2:43 AM, 7thLetter said:

I've been thinking about moving out of my family's place for a while now. I'm 26 years old and I've been feeling so far behind in life compared to others and one of those reasons is because everyone else left their parent's house in their early 20s while I still live with my parents at 26. I feel a bit ashamed when people ask about my life like "What do you do?" "Do you go to school" "Do you drive" "Do you live with roommates?" While these types of conversations can make me uncomfortable at times, it actually does help me get off my ass.

I've been living in the same city for my whole life. It's comfortable for me to live here but it does get old and I want to experience someplace new. I decided to quit a somewhat comfortable job and look for jobs outside of my city which offer staff housing at a low cost. I found a shitty room cleaning job with decent pay and an ok but small housing accommodation with 2 other roommates. Of course this job is outside of my city and it's in a pretty nice city where a lot of tourists go to do skiing, hiking, biking, snowboarding, etc. So those are a few reasons why I chose this place, I like to be active and do things.

Everything sort of sounds good to me but I'm starting to have anxiety about it. I have to move there and start the new job in about 10 days. This would be my first time moving out of my parent's place, AND live outside of my city. Hopefully I will get along with my roommates too, I've already met them. Plus I don't know how I feel about this job, I only signed up for the wage.

I'm giving up my comfortable lifestyle for something else which is why it feels so wrong. I mean, people always talk about how you need to get out of your comfort zone to experience growth, which is why I'm doing it, but its such a major change all of a sudden that I don't know how to feel.

Any advice?

Awesome! Just try to enjoy the experience