Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trenton

Astrology and Religion

4 posts in this topic

I have been researching this topic and I discovered something very confusing. The bible spears to have many references to astrology and the zodiac such as the 12 tribes of Israel, the 12 disciples of Jesus, Jesus being associated with the sun, the sun, moon, and stars bowing to Joseph, the star guiding the three wise men to Jesus and so on.

One the other hand astrology used to be accepted in various religions but isn't anymore. This creates a major contradiction when the bible condemns fortune tellers and star gamers (which is suspect because there are various biased translations of holy texts) , but also many Christians can be seen making prophesies. How else are prophesies made aside from using astrology?

For some reason astrology seems to be condemned yet the bible makes many references to the zodiac. Holy texts are based on prophecy constantly yet astrology is condemned. I don't understand why the shift interpretation happened because there used to be a broader acceptance of the zodiac but now there isn't.

Can somebody explain this discrepancy? Is this a contradiction or a biased translation? It looks like religion is unknowingly condemning itself by refusing to recognize validity in the worldviews on which it is based.

Yeah man the bible(any religion) is just a bunch of stories passed down & rewritten hundreds of times and yes, probably stemming mostly from astrology like you mentioned.

Religion is essentially hope.....it's just a crutch for the fearful/hopeful.

Astrology is obviously tied into religion,  it just seems like most aren't aware of it or believe it holds any significance!

❤ 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@VeganAwake what I find interesting is that if the stories have been passed down for so long, what was the true meaning of it? Maybe the modern translations are nothing like the original holy texts yet they are held as if they were.

What if Jesus never said "forgive them father for they know not what they do" but rather be said something like "let me go you *blank*". 

There were also some sects of Christianity which interpreted the religion through a polytheistic lens. They argued that the old and new testaments were incompatible because one is about wrath and punishment while the other is about love and forgiveness. This lead to the idea of a righteous and punishing father and a loving and forgiving mother. These were the two gods of Christianity in this interpretation.

I find this fascinating and it demonstrates that we may never know what religion meant when it was originally written.

3 hours ago, trenton said:

@VeganAwake what I find interesting is that if the stories have been passed down for so long, what was the true meaning of it? Maybe the modern translations are nothing like the original holy texts yet they are held as if they were.

What if Jesus never said "forgive them father for they know not what they do" but rather be said something like "let me go you *blank*". 

There were also some sects of Christianity which interpreted the religion through a polytheistic lens. They argued that the old and new testaments were incompatible because one is about wrath and punishment while the other is about love and forgiveness. This lead to the idea of a righteous and punishing father and a loving and forgiving mother. These were the two gods of Christianity in this interpretation.

I find this fascinating and it demonstrates that we may never know what religion meant when it was originally written.

Yeah the history of religion and or spirituality is definitely interesting to look into...I really don't think there was a meaning to the madness but I've heard stories that it was originally used to control people. Who knows right?

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi