Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
at_anchor

simple meditation techniques

2 posts in this topic

I don't know if I'm meditating properly. I just sit in a lotus position, look at a clock and focus on my breathing while relaxing my body. When thoughts come I let them be and when tears of sadness appear, I suppose that's fine as long as I keep sitting there and focus on breathing. And if something starts annoying me like for example a mosquito or some kind of noise or even a person that comes in front of me and starts emotional abuse, I just let it be. How many hours a day to meditate if you have more than one to spare? Is reading about consciousness and meditation required for enlightenment? Do you have to become a Buddhist or Hindu? How to meditate properly?

@at_anchor

1 minute ago, at_anchor said:

I don't know if I'm meditating properly. I just sit in a lotus position, look at a clock and focus on my breathing while relaxing my body. When thoughts come I let them be and when tears of sadness appear, I suppose that's fine as long as I keep sitting there and focus on breathing. And if something starts annoying me like for example a mosquito or some kind of noise or even a person that comes in front of me and starts emotional abuse, I just let it be. How many hours a day to meditate if you have more than one to spare? Is reading about consciousness and meditation required for enlightenment? Do you have to become a Buddhist or Hindu? How to meditate properly?

You're doing fine. For me though, the simplest meditation is the mindfulness practices of Shinzen Young, followed by sleep yoga. I keep it under an hour, or sometimes half an hour or less, and ecen sometimes taking a break from meditation.

As long as your spine is relatively straight, any posture will do, doesn't have to be lotus only. It's also okey to take breaks.