Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thenondualtankie

Genetic health tests - worth the cost?

3 posts in this topic

These go for several hundred £ but at the same time I'm kinda curious what kind of results my genetics would give.

Their main use case is that they tell you what diseases (e.g. cancers) you're more prone to.

At the same time I'm a college kid who albeit isn't broke but does probably have other things he should save his money for. (That sentence really made me call myself "he" twice)

They can be interestesting but it is important to validate your results with great caution and not to dramstise the results too much. 

E.g. mutation on a gene XYZ that has been shown to cause disease X in knockout mice does not mean you will get the same disease. While some mutations have stronger associations than other the disease and genome interplay isn't as well exolored in terms of human outcome data so always take a step back when interpreting your results. Also sometimes it is genuinely better not to know. 

Also be VERY cautious if the company selling you the tests starts offering you supplements or "tailored programs" to "mitigate the impact" a lot of them do this and businesses like that are the bottom of the barrel 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I think in the near future these tests will be commonplace but it's early days for now and the research isn't 100% accurate. 

They can be a useful guide though. Since you're very young and extremely low risk to ailments I'd wait another 10 years when the research will be much better.