Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jannes

Pressure Cooker cooking

5 posts in this topic

That’s the one I have: https://www.amazon.de/AmazonBasics-Mehrzweck-Dampfdrucktopf-elektrisch-gebürsteter-Netzstecker/dp/B079LNTDQV/ref=sr_1_18?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=20B8SCV250OUN&keywords=Instant+Topf&qid=1658155145&sprefix=instant+t%2Caps%2C1413&sr=8-18

1) I can’t cook veggies in mine. Even with the lowest time and least pressure all the vegetables turn into soup. So my strategy is to just throw frozen veggies into the mix of cooked grains/lentils and let them unfreeze and it works but this is not ideal. Does anybody have a pressure cooker that doesn’t cook that strong?

2) I don’t know how to flavour my grains/lentils. I always put a block of veggie broth into it which isn’t even that healthy but I don’t know what else to do with it. Any suggestions?

Edited by Jannes

It's not that suited for cooking veggies as a side portion, in the standard - carb-meat-veg type of cooking. Personally, I hate that type of cooking because it is too protein-focused, inefficient, expensive and usually minimises the fibre content of the meal. 

A pressure cooker is better if you like the 1-pot type of meals where you can't tell one ingredient from another. Like curries, burrito fillings, pasta dishes, tofu dishes, tacos & quesadillas fillings, soups, veggie stews even baby food. Also I generally find pressure cookers more suitable for vegetarian and vegan cooking but meat can definitely be used in it easily. 

True, some ingredients like tomatoes or onions get turned into a soup but the fibre is still there, the nutrients are still there :) so this is more functional rather than aesthetic cooking. It sucks on Instagram but your microbiota loves it. 

Get all the indian spices and herbs you can and do some alchemy with your food. I love experimenting with new flavours. I've recently started adding plant-based butter and that's incredible. Nutritional yeats, tahini, miso, tomato puree, pesto and herbs also help. 

If unsure, there are lots of pressure cooker cookbooks.

I also made a few recipe videos on my YouTube. The videos are a noob quality but there are 2 recipes in the most recent video and also in some of the other vlog ones. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

44 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

A pressure cooker is better if you like the 1-pot type of meals where you can't tell one ingredient from another. Like curries, burrito fillings, pasta dishes, tofu dishes, tacos & quesadillas fillings, soups, veggie stews even baby food. Also I generally find pressure cookers more suitable for vegetarian and vegan cooking but meat can definitely be used in it easily. 

I am vegetarian to that’s great ? Never even thought of making curry in it, don’t know why.

True, some ingredients like tomatoes or onions get turned into a soup but the fibre is still there, the nutrients are still there :) so this is more functional rather than aesthetic cooking. It sucks on Instagram but your microbiota loves it. 

Should I also eat raw veggies? I just can’t believe that veggies turned into soup have all the vitamins as fresh ones. Some of them get destroyed in heat and I feel like in an instant pot they get super destroyed. 

I've recently started adding plant-based butter and that's incredible.

Is that even healthy ? ?

Nutritional yeats, tahini, miso, tomato puree, pesto and herbs also help. 

If unsure, there are lots of pressure cooker cookbooks.

I also made a few recipe videos on my YouTube. The videos are a noob quality but there are 2 recipes in the most recent video and also in some of the other vlog ones. 

It’s definetly a nieche and I actually haven’t found that much. Thanks for the tips. What’s your yt channel ?

39 minutes ago, Jannes said:

Should I also eat raw veggies?

ofcourse :D 

39 minutes ago, Jannes said:

I just can’t believe that veggies turned into soup have all the vitamins as fresh ones. Some of them get destroyed in heat and I feel like in an instant pot they get super destroyed. 

I don't have exact data on this but I recall the last time I had this research question and went to look into the literature, some of the vitamins actually increase in bioavailability as well as certain phytonutrients and the loss of vitamins was like 10% max after hours of boiling. SO no, I'm not worried about nutrient loss bit. And with a pressure cooker, you can load so much stuff in there that you'll easily compensate for any loss not to mention that the cheapest ingredients like legumes are the most nutrient loaded. 

42 minutes ago, Jannes said:

Is that even healthy ? ?

Replacing saturated fats for plant-derived PUFAs has been associated with improved disease outcomes pretty much across the board now.  It's mostly just vegetable oils and plant sterols, there is no margarine or any trans fats. 

44 minutes ago, Jannes said:

t’s definetly a nieche and I actually haven’t found that much. Thanks for the tips. What’s your yt channel ?

its in my signature :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus