Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zunnyman

How many hours to mastery? (LP course not indication 10000 for 1 skill I think)

2 posts in this topic

So I was going through Leo's life purpose course, and I recall Leo saying that the 10000 hours of deliberate practice, applies to your life purpose, not towards 1 specific skill. So if say I want to put out music videos, the skills would involve writing lyrics, cinematography, singing, guitar, etc. and I believe Leo said it's 10k for all that combined. It will take 5 to 10 years to actualize your life purpose (10k hours). 

Now I have a full time job. And I realized to break out of wage slavery, I just need to master 1 skill. In my case, if I just master the Handpan instrument, I can monetize that 1 skill in 10 different ways. So for now, with my limited time, I am just focusing on this 1 skill so I can get to mastery quicker. 

So if its say 10k hours for 7 skills, that's approximately 1500 hours per skill. Now if I allocate 3000 hours to master Handpan, be in the top 10 in the world, with obviously a lot of innovation, can I realistically assume that in 3000 hours I can start making 10k profit per month or something and achieve mastery?

I don't think 3,000 hours will get you into the top 10 in the world. 10k gets you a shot if you also have natural musical talent.

Whether the top 10 handpan players in the world are making $10k/month consistently is iffy. The biggest YouTube channel I can find has like 600k subscribers.

The thing is that it doesn't seem consistent. Handpan is the sort of thing that most people listen to once in their life for an hour and that's it. So some videos get 20 million views and most get a couple thousand. 

Handpan videos probably aren't going to get a high CPM so I think you'd consistently need at least a million views a month, which is hard to do consistently.

I know you aren't just going to do YouTube, but everything else has its own pros and cons and takes time too.

I'd honestly aim more for like $100k/month because to get to that level of success, you basically have to make handpan music mainstream and get your songs on the radio. Getting to $10k/month with handpan music is going to be a huge struggle, but if you manage to get that far, it's not a big leap to start making a million dollars a year from it.

You have to take handpan mainstream. Research a guy named Zamfir who took the pan flute mainstream in the... 70s? 80s? And figure out how it happened.

Your best shot might be to have one "15 minutes of fame" viral album that sells millions of copies in a year and then you live off that money pursuing your passion for the rest of your life. Or you might make it into something more long term like Kenny G.

Better to aim higher and not hit your goals

Edited by Yarco