Ariesleith

Spinoza's Concept of God (lectures)

1 post in this topic

I listened to this lecture about Spinoza and I was struck by the resemblance it has with Leos notion of god as self. To Spinoza, nature and god are one and all things are natural. God, though, is not a being or conscious. That is a difference. God is something material and infinite, so long as your conception of material is expansive enough to include imagination, even of the material nature i.e. god. I cupel this with a lecture I listened to by Slavoj Zizek-who I head of on the blog-talking about atheist Christianity. In this video he continually makes reference to what I conceive of via Nietzsche as the slave/master relationship, describing the emptiness of goodness for the sake of profit in the form of salvation. He talks about the fundamental problem of doing good for the sake of 'getting to heaven' referencing Luther's genius anxiety about the possibility of good actions even leading to damnation, because of gods disgust with the conniving self care of niceness. I hope these lectures will be of interest to somebody. It seems very abstract, but it makes Leos supposed insight into being god more comprehensive if you work on your definition of exactly what is god and things related to the notion of god, such as morality(If it is in fact related). 

Understanding Spinoza with Neal Grossman   

Slavoj Žižek. "Christian Atheism". 2017

Edited by Ariesleith