Carl-Richard

Ultimate musical improvisation/creativity

92 posts in this topic

"Exivious" is, to many ears a through and through instrumental jazz-fusion album. Unlike Cynic, a technical death metal band with jazz influence, Exivious has become a jazz band influenced by technical death metal.

https://www.metalunderground.com/reviews/details.cfm?releaseid=2285

Cynic is one of my favorite bands, and when I discovered Exivious some years ago, it was a bit too jazzy for me to really understand, but then over the years, as I've listened to more jazz fusion (like Allan Holdsworth, who is in a way beyond jazz if you ask me, but anyways), when I went back to Exivious, I fell in love. The psychedelic atmosphere, the picked jazz chords, the technical metal riffs, the daring tone choices, the musicianship; everything is just :x

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I like this cover because you can feel the groove through the bopping of the Go-Pro (and because the drummer is tight).

Not music related but some quotes I came up with:

A person who is done bullshitting themself and others is lethally precise.

When a cell swallowed a bacteria, mitochondria was created. When a multi-cellular organism swallowed an uni-cellular organism, white blood cells were created. When a bigger clan swallows a smaller clan, empires are created. All of history seems to be a case of conquest and entrapment.

Edited by Carl-Richard

The solo sounds like Allan Holdsworth on Benadryl.

crOsS gEnRe anAlySis: I just managed to draw a parallel between the development of rap and the development of "djent" (Meshuggah-inspired metal): de-emphasis on tonal qualities (particularly melody and harmony) and emphasis on rhythm and other elements. For rap, the other elements are metaphor, rhyme, style, surprise, etc. For djent, it's heaviness (e.g. downtuning, tone, attack, open string chugs), odd-metredness, technical quirks (e.g. squeaks, micro-bends), etc.

My short-lived career as a Pivot animator 😂:

Pivot is a really simple program for making animations, and I remember I loved to make funny animations with it when I was 12-13. I just re-watched the videos and was a little bit surprised of how good they are (for being that young). I certainly didn't lack creativity 😆

At the same time, I remember I wanted to make videos more professionally (RuneScape videos), and I asked my dad if he could buy me his video editing software that he used for work, and he said yes, but I never got it. I think if I had gotten that, there is a decent chance I could be a video editor today (maybe even a full-time YouTuber). I also asked him for a double bass pedal for my drum set which I also never got, and similarly, I think I maybe could've become a drummer instead of a guitar player. Same with me never bothering to buy a decent music editing software (like Cubase, which is what one of my friends from music class used) or basic recording equipment (the aforementioned friend had his own studio); maybe I could've been a musician today.

It's weird to think about how your life could've turned out different, and it kinda hurts when I look back at these missed oppurtunities, because I feel like I'm more of an artistic right-brained person than anything else, and that it feels like I was supposed to pursue these oppurtunities when they arose. I have also always had some deep-seated desire to be world famous somehow (page Dr. Freud for that), and I think that also feeds into the missing-out feeling (as becoming a musician and a YouTuber are probably the top 2 go-to ideas for becoming famous, at least for my generation).

On the other hand, I'm partially grateful for not having made some of these more creative pursuits into a job and thus turning them into something you have to do for some extrinsic outcome (turning intrinsic motivation and spontanous expression into extrinsic motivation and contingent expression). I can see some of this development in my academic pursuits, and it seems unavoidable to some extent, despite your passion for it (especially due to the practicalities specific to the academic machinery). It's not something I'm too bothered by, because life is all of life is like that yo some extent (it's about becoming an adult and seeing how not everything will suit your utmost sense of comfort or immediate impulses). Regardless, it's good to have something that you can go to as a "safe space" where nothing needs to happen and where you can be fully free to do whatever you want. But also, there is of course a downside with not being constantly immersed in something and being pushed to develop your skills, as your skill level also feeds into your level of enjoyment. So there are pros and cons to everything, and at some point, you have to be grateful for what you have.

And who knows; maybe I wouldn't have found spirituality in any of those timelines? I can't imagine what kind of person I would be or how much suffering I would've gone through up to this point, or if I would even be alive. It's weird to think about.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Omg new Aristocrats album coming February 16th 🤩🥳

I think the reason I got into music with weird time signatures so much is that my dad used to play this song in the car a lot when I was 6-7. It's not really until later that I realized how brilliant it is.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Haha this guy is a freaking ninja.

Like, just wow: 1:25

Edited by Carl-Richard