Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardkill

Why are Montana, Alaska, and Utah politically conservative?

3 posts in this topic

I get both of these states have high if not very high rural populations per capita. 

Yet, these states actually rank high in overall education level and are more secular than most states are.

I mentioned in a previous thread about how Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine have some of the highest rural populations per capita, but they are still some of the most liberal states in the country (with some moderate republican leaders in the New England region).

As for Utah, I understand that the state is greatly dominated by the mormon culture. However, that state actually has one of the highest urban populations per capita and is considered to have an undoubtedly high overall level education. Virginia has become a mostly safe blue state and Georgia has become a purple state trending toward blue, even though they are highly religious states that are part of the Bible Belt.

So, why haven't Montana, Alaska, and Utah been able to transition to being more liberal?

Edited by Hardkill

I think I now, figured out why Republicans have been dominant in Montana, Alaska, and Utah.

Montana has one of the highest rural populations (by percentage) in America, one of the least densely populated states, and is one the least diverse states in America.

Alaska has a high rural population (by percentage), is THE LEAST densely populated state, and has a slightly below average education level per capita.

Utah is one of the most religious states in the country (including the fact that it has an abnormal amount of fundamentalists), low population density overall, and is one of the least diverse states in America.

I also now get why Democrats have been dominant in Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

Virginia has now gained such a high education level per capita, that it is now considered to be the 7th most educated state in the country. Also, Virginia has in recent years had a high amount of overall diversity and a high population density overall. Plus, over the past few decades, its rural population has been continually shrinking while its urban and suburban populations have been growing. Its rural population by percentage is now slightly below medium in comparison to all other states in America.

Vermont has become approx. the 5th most educated state in the country and is tied with Maine for being the 2nd most secular state in America. A lot of this can be attributed to the influx of many liberals from other east coast states like Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut our the past few decades.

New Hampshire has become one of the top 10 most educated states in the country. Moreover, it's been tied with Massachusetts as being the most secular state in America. Like Vermont, the state also has had an influx of many liberals from other east coast states like Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut over the past few decades.

Maine has been tied with Vermont for being 2nd most secular state in America. Furthermore, Republicans in the New England region have always been more moderate than most other Republicans throughout the country. The state also has a relatively high education level per capita.

Edited by Hardkill

Yes, Utah is Mormon land and Mormons are like the largest Republican majority group at around 80%. They are very blue on the spiral so I don't think Trump's abrasiveness jived well with all of them, hence senator Romney's popularity there. Things look like they'll shift with younger generations. I think the rural/urban cultural divide will be less on political lines over time. Left-right/Urban-rural really just isn't 1-to-1. Montana is a huge state for hunting and wildlife baked into their culture so alot of single-issue voters on guns i'd imagine. Alaska and rural areas eat up individualist philosophy but honestly US conservatives are still liberals. There's a compatible middle ground as most in the US are moderates. Kinda back to square one gotta just combat disinfo campaigns with our right foot in front of us