Danioover9000

Hip Hop and censorship?

25 posts in this topic

HipHop music is essentially our generations way of expressing SpiralDynamics stage red. I think its a rather healthy way of expressing this dimension of humanness. It only gets pathological when it is not properly embedded in the other stages, but I dont see that as HipHops problem nor concern but rather as a larger cultural problem we have. I dont hear any rapper talking shit about lower stages, in fact they embrace them very well, all that talk about gangs and sexuality is proper for this stage. The problem is that some nutty stage blue folk are so afraid of their own desires that they cant help themselves but repress and demonize HipHop. They have not integrated their shadow yet.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

On 6/25/2022 at 1:04 AM, Nilsi said:

HipHop music is essentially our generations way of expressing SpiralDynamics stage red. I think its a rather healthy way of expressing this dimension of humanness. It only gets pathological when it is not properly embedded in the other stages, but I dont see that as HipHops problem nor concern but rather as a larger cultural problem we have. I dont hear any rapper talking shit about lower stages, in fact they embrace them very well, all that talk about gangs and sexuality is proper for this stage. The problem is that some nutty stage blue folk are so afraid of their own desires that they cant help themselves but repress and demonize HipHop. They have not integrated their shadow yet.

Funny thing is though when hip-hop was conceived, it was not Stage Red. It was conscious music. It was about uplifting the community and being authentic. Hip-Hop was not just an art or craft but a lifestyle. But as it become monopolized and became mainstream it became corrupted and became more Red. why is many hip-hop songs on mainstream about materialism (Orange), keeping tradition (Blue--mainstream doesn't like when Rappers go out the box), and Egocentric (red)? I think it's because low consciousness things sell. Also, the people in power want to perpetuate hate instead of love. they are moving away from the real essence of hip-hop. Some say we don't need the KKK and other hate crime groups against the african-american community/culture because a lot of main-stream hip-hop music, and even sub cultures like battle rap (which I love) is talking about committing violent acts to each other (even fellow black men or people in their own communities) and saying how you better than somebody else. This is why Kendrick's last album was so powerful. it was so vulnerable and honest and i feel he is rapping from at least a stage yellow perspective because he is analyzing the systems, situations, experiences and more that have created the people, the community and system, and how he himself has contributed to society's problems. I don't think people like kendrick's album because it's like what Tyler the Creator said "it's like he is talking directly to you. calling out all your shit" i am paraphrasing but it was something like that. Hip-Hop started from love and that is what actualized teaches. we are infinite Love and Kendrick understands that and how life is perspectival. Most of friends don't like the conscious hip-hop i listen to. and funny enough, these people aren't deep into spiritualty and awakening as much as me. The themes and things people are talking about they cannot connect with. they rather have another club banger or chill song they can listen to that isn't to deep; which is fine. I feel that hip-hop hasn't been fully appreciated for the advance artform that it is due to the oversaturation of bad artist since anybody can have a voice. that is the beauty of hip-hop. you can see all the different stages of spiral dynamics because hip-hop gives anyone a voice regardless of class, race, gender, etc. 

@Thurlian

1 hour ago, Thurlian said:

Funny thing is though when hip-hop was conceived, it was not Stage Red. It was conscious music. It was about uplifting the community and being authentic. Hip-Hop was not just an art or craft but a lifestyle. But as it become monopolized and became mainstream it became corrupted and became more Red. why is many hip-hop songs on mainstream about materialism (Orange), keeping tradition (Blue--mainstream doesn't like when Rappers go out the box), and Egocentric (red)? I think it's because low consciousness things sell. Also, the people in power want to perpetuate hate instead of love. they are moving away from the real essence of hip-hop. Some say we don't need the KKK and other hate crime groups against the african-american community/culture because a lot of main-stream hip-hop music, and even sub cultures like battle rap (which I love) is talking about committing violent acts to each other (even fellow black men or people in their own communities) and saying how you better than somebody else. This is why Kendrick's last album was so powerful. it was so vulnerable and honest and i feel he is rapping from at least a stage yellow perspective because he is analyzing the systems, situations, experiences and more that have created the people, the community and system, and how he himself has contributed to society's problems. I don't think people like kendrick's album because it's like what Tyler the Creator said "it's like he is talking directly to you. calling out all your shit" i am paraphrasing but it was something like that. Hip-Hop started from love and that is what actualized teaches. we are infinite Love and Kendrick understands that and how life is perspectival. Most of friends don't like the conscious hip-hop i listen to. and funny enough, these people aren't deep into spiritualty and awakening as much as me. The themes and things people are talking about they cannot connect with. they rather have another club banger or chill song they can listen to that isn't to deep; which is fine. I feel that hip-hop hasn't been fully appreciated for the advance artform that it is due to the oversaturation of bad artist since anybody can have a voice. that is the beauty of hip-hop. you can see all the different stages of spiral dynamics because hip-hop gives anyone a voice regardless of class, race, gender, etc. 

Good post, at the larger scheme of things hip hop is centrally entertainment, so it is more susceptible to corruption and materialism. My only specific problem is unconscious consumption of this music, which could likely lead to a person doing violent acts or be more judgmental and negative than normal.  

I wouldn't say Kendrick is fully stage yellow, but he does have elements of it like open mindedness. Also, his personality type is more introverted than extroverted as he doesn't like looking people directly in the eyes for too long. 

@Nilsi

On 6/25/2022 at 9:04 AM, Nilsi said:

Good post, all I can is I have some faith that most people are consuming this art form consciously, because when it becomes unconscious it becomes a problem, not immediately but later.

23 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Thurlian

Good post, at the larger scheme of things hip hop is centrally entertainment, so it is more susceptible to corruption and materialism. My only specific problem is unconscious consumption of this music, which could likely lead to a person doing violent acts or be more judgmental and negative than normal.  

I wouldn't say Kendrick is fully stage yellow, but he does have elements of it like open mindedness. Also, his personality type is more introverted than extroverted as he doesn't like looking people directly in the eyes for too long. 

I think Lamar is solid yellow. Obama famously admires him and they are even good friends as far as I know.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus