Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caesar13

Discussing your health problems with your boss

3 posts in this topic

Are there any disadvantages to discussing your health problems with your manager or boss? Will discussing it affect your position at the company? 

Depends on the company, depends on the health condition, depends on the boss, depends on where you live.

Minor physical ailments are probably okay to discuss. If you've got carpal tunnel or lower back problems, most companies are happy to get you an ergonomic keyboard or a better chair to accommodate. If you have diabetes that's totally managed but you need to inject yourself with insulin a couple times a day almost any workplace would accommodate it, and you should let them know so they don't think you're doing drugs. If you have a severe or life-threatening allergy that's worth disclosing.

If the health problems are going to impact your ability to do your job in any significant way or make you less efficient, it probably won't go over as well and you'll need to be strategic about it.

If it doesn't affect your job and no one would know unless you told them, I wouldn't talk about it.

Mental health stuff especially is still taboo in most places. Even if the workplace puts on a façade of supporting and promoting mental health, normally they're full of crap when it comes down to it. If you've got depression, etc you pretty much need to come in with a doctor note and tell them what you need if you're legally entitled to it, don't ask or try to bargain.

I know one person who has received special accommodation for PTSD and anxiety - getting her own private office in a mostly open-concept building, how her desk is laid out so people can't come up behind her, letting people know not to come up behind her and surprise her or try to hug her without asking (yes it happens in workplaces way more than you'd expect lol). Her boss is understanding on the rare occasion she does have a full-blown panic attack. But she works at an above-average company with an above-average manager in terms of understanding and accommodation. Lots of places would probably just fire you if you're even slightly a burden in terms of anxiety, bipolar, any kind of mood disorder.

If you happen to have a union, talk to the union about it before your employer.

Edited by Yarco

Well, now I think it's better not to talk about it unless there would be legal issues, if I don't.

Edited by caesar13