Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caesar13

Making my Resume Stand Out

3 posts in this topic

Hi. Due to some serious health conditions, it took me 7 years to complete my undergraduate studies. I want my fellow employers or, in case, my admission committee if I want to apply for masters, to see me as a good employee/student. To be honest, I take studies seriously. It's really my serious health issues that made the situation worse.

Now how can I make my resume look good - considering that, up to my knowledge, my resume will be downright discarded once people notice the gap years in my studies. I've couple of things in mind: To work for a foreign company (big or small) indicating that I am good enough at communicating with people from other cultures, to learn a foreign language to show that I'm persistent at what I do.

Of course, all the above things besides my ability to do the job at hand (I mean the job I am applying to) or to show the uni's admission committee that I've worked at so and so foreign company before applying for masters.

Any suggestions? You know I am just really desperate to let people know that I didn't attend for classes, or wasted my time at college doing other silly things. I do not want to be judged by the gap years I have in my undergrad.

I'd love to discuss with you guys! 

People tend to follow your lead on how to think about you.

Do you judge yourself for these gap years?

Also have you already applied to jobs or do you just assume they will discard your resume?

Mentioning serious health issues could be a double edged sword. If you don't have to lay down this information I would refrain from doing so. Maybe you can change the narrative - like that you where busy with some work related projects.

Do you judge yourself for these gap years?

No, not in a self-sabotaging way.  I had given up for a while but after that I tried to get back up.

Also have you already applied to jobs or do you just assume they will discard your resume?

I'm doing a part-time job. Technical support - I handle support tickets. Well, yes, to be honest, I assumed as I have more than 1 gap year.

Mentioning serious health issues could be a double edged sword. If you don't have to lay down this information I would refrain from doing so. Maybe you can change the narrative - like that you where busy with some work related projects.

I'm afraid, I haven't done any other super busy work related projects. It took me around 1.5 years just to become mentally stable - and I'm still using medication.