Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lyubov

Switching careers and my current position: tell me what you think

6 posts in this topic

USA and German passport 

I have bachelors from a decent university in the USA, political science and international studies. Graduated honors.

Last 6 years I have worked in tefl, esl, tutoring and exam preparation to study and work in the EU and USA. Teaching English in countries where it isn’t the first language. I did really well and made a ton of money in several countries doing private lessons. It’s seemed to have dried up a ton recently and I’m looking for a switch. I’d like to do some work online. I have my passions which I will work towards slowly but I also have to make some cash and can’t do them all in my free time since they have to do with content creation and art.

so, given my experience and resume what do you think I could transition to? I was thinking of contacting recruiters. I’d like to get a job I can work remotely from anywhere. I was thinking corporate sales, editing or journalism. I’d like to make $3000-$4000 a month and then maybe move to Bali or South America where my salary will go super far. I don’t want to live in a country that’s expensive.

any advice here? I basically have lost a ton of clients and work due to the conflict in Ukraine. I’m frozen out of the Russian bank system. 

Any advice for starting over and getting an online job? 

Use online job search websites and set the criteria for remote work.

I'm sorry to hear that you are frozen with the bank system and that your work seems to have dried up.

You could try looking for other companies that offer the same thing you were doing but virtually; or just in other places; or you could try something different. 

All I say is go for what you want to go for and would enjoy doing.

You could also look into workaway.  It is where you go to another country and stay with someone and can get paid to work there.  My friend from Germany and her brother have done it a few times and have gone to South Africa, Norway, and a few places in New Zealand.

https://www.workaway.info/

There will also be ESL needs in countries where English is the main language because people will go there who don't really know it and need it.  

If you know languages other than English, say Spanish, you could be a Spanish teacher in an English speaking country.

Elementary and middle schools will need ESL, middle and high schools will have various other languages offered, college will have various languages offered.  You can stay in language instruction if you like.

Or yeah you can try looking in to other careers and look at job boards to see what is available and also see if you need any training/certifications first or not.

Also, there is need for translators for say when a foreigner goes to a country for a while and needs the translator the entire time or at certain times.  I was given one when I was in China for a month when I was in this other city away from the rest of the team.

Also there is need for translators for youtube videos, books, and film.  They translate stuff so that people in other countries can read it too and then they get more views.

Edited by PepperBlossoms

Thanks for the advice. I’ve got an idea. I’m going to pad the fuck out of my resume and lie that I have all sorts of corporate sales experience, PR, same in management, etc. See what’s the most senior and highest paying job I can land in some sort of PR, marketing, writing, finance, management job. Something that doesn’t require having a super specialized tangible specialized skill but something I realistically could fake my way through. For example I can’t lie about not knowing Java script for a programming job. A lot of these white collar jobs basically require no skills and the most senior position isn’t anything the junior couldn’t do. I don’t give a fuck. My gf just got fired for being Russian, said it looks bad for business having a Russian as their promoter. Reminder that companies do not give a fuck and will sack you even if it’s bigoted and some bullshit you have nothing to do with. 

Edited by Lyubov

Some people have been very successful at starting their own enterprise based on a lie so lying does seem to work for some but I haven't done it myself so I cannot vouch for that.  It is definitely a way to get one's foot in the door, if able to be put into action.

There could be issues with having to keep up with the lies and not knowing how to do what you say you can do and feeling bad for lying.  It could also impact future jobs in some way (either yay for getting more work or boo for getting caught lying and having to deal with the repercussions).

If the company is firing your partner for her nationality, it was probably not a good company to stay at anyway with that type of thinking.

Do what you feel the most comfortable doing.  I am sorry all of this is happening.

All of the professional places I have worked at were horribly toxic and so I am fully aware of how hard it is on one's mental health to work in that type of setting.  It is hard because they may pay more and so one may have to work less years and feel more comfortable but one may have immense mental distress working there and then comes the question, is it worth it and do I want to live like this?  (But I also don't want to be making so little that I have mental distress from not having enough...) The whole money-economy-survival thing is a mess it seems.  By the exploitative nature of survival, I feel like the toxicity is somewhat inevitable.

We had a mayor that lied about his credentials and it made big news and has maybe hurt him and he would have been better off just being honest about it.  I would suggest going the honest route to be safe but that is what I would want to do but I am also not you.  Talk to some mobsters and they may have better advice if that is the route you want to take ha.