Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rush

Advice- Life Purpose Course

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Does the life purpose course assume that those people who take the course, are meant to be entrepreneurs ? I like the idea of being passionate about 1 thing and going after it, but Im not sure im willing to take the risks or have that entrepreneurial mindset that succesfull business owners have. Has anyone managed to find their life purpose within a career as oppose to starting a business, or do you have to start a business ?

@rush I have not taken the life purpose course yet, so let me speak from my head/heart.  It doesn't make sense to me that the life purpose course would assume you have to be an entrepreneur - I think an entrepreneur is a certain kind of person, and its not meant for everyone.  Having said that, I do think you can find a career that suits your life purpose without having to start your own business.  And then, of course, having your own business gives you certain freedoms that you may not find within a career.  You may have to try both to figure this out for yourself.  Keep asking questions!!

The key is mastery. I don't You don't have to specifically start a business. It's important to realize all the things that you CAN do, though. You can become a master and trust in the process, and you can learn about the business side of things even if you were never interested in business. You could actually start a company that's related to what you're mastering, or you could join together with someone who is doing as you gain enough career capital. Pretty sure the keys include mastery, being a creator of some sort and contributing, but you have to focus on yourself and meet your needs and may need to build a foundation before you can go off and take a big risk with business. Then, you can find ways to work towards autonomy, passive income, a business, etc.

I found the courage to go through with an idea of turning my main hobby into my life purpose, but I found that I'll have to really develop mastery in the main field in order to establish career capital before I can specialize further into a niche, become more creative and start a company, or some creative outlet like a YouTube channel or website where I can help people in my field of expertise. It's like how Leo's life purpose starts with reading, digesting, and practicing the psychology he's learning. That's the mastery part, but to convey it to people, his life purpose includes improving at shooting videos, learning business aspects, and maybe even web development in order to deliver it all to us.

I think the key is that once you find what you want to master, you become so dedicated that can get through the drudgery in order to convey your mission. The long-term results will just be so worth it to complete your vision that you'll want to figure out how to improve and share your work with the world.

@Passionate @Vladz0r

Yeah, I agree it is important to look at what you can do and become a master however, naturally a life purpose is your OWN pursuit and you would preferably want to make a living from this, so surely you would need to be entrepreneurial ? Even if you are dedicated, surely if you want to make money from this pursuit, you need to have a business mindset, which not everyone may have ?

@rush  Perhaps your passion is investigation and uncovering the hidden truths in this world.  So, maybe you become a journalist, and you will need a medium, such as a tv, magazine, newspaper to develop your experiences.  This is an example of pursuing your passion without being an entrepreneur.   I think you need to figure out what your passion is, pursue it, and take a wait and see approach as to whether you need a business mindset.  Don't be so quick to rush to this conclusion.  Step back and observe a little.  Hope that helps

On 1/21/2017 at 6:42 AM, rush said:

@Passionate @Vladz0r

Yeah, I agree it is important to look at what you can do and become a master however, naturally a life purpose is your OWN pursuit and you would preferably want to make a living from this, so surely you would need to be entrepreneurial ? Even if you are dedicated, surely if you want to make money from this pursuit, you need to have a business mindset, which not everyone may have ?

In short, it's supposed to be a blend. In the course, Leo makes it clear that you need to have some way to inevitably monetize your work, and you have to do a blend of what the market wants, needs, and your domain of mastery. Mastery, discipline, daily habit is for establishing that confidence in the main skill. Marketing and business come as side things unless your goal is to be an entrepreneur, but yeah, you need that entrepreneur mindset in general.

I think of it this way: Leo could have tried to monetize self-actualization before mastering the material himself and having a bigger vision for it, but he was able to sustain himself for a while with his previous business. Likewise, you can do the same by trying to market your skill, or you could focus more on the skill itself while you sustain yourself by other means. Eventually you'd "get so good they can't ignore you" but you have to have a real, almost impractical game plan to do much more work than the amateur jack of all trades is doing. I've been listening to Robert Greene's book on Mastery (a pretty good, modern and practical approach to Mastery, with a lot of examples of successful people) and it talks about people who were inadequate at writing, language learning, and sports, and other skills, who then adopted their own strict daily regimens. Taking the theoretical highest yield techniques, utilizing them to a great extent, and spending concentrated periods of 2-3 hours, multiple times a day if possible. There was a basketball player who had an 8-hour regimen and crazy ways to improve at dribbling and passing without ever looking at the ball by using cardboard underneath hollow glasses. A military pilot asked to be tested 10 times as often as his peers, in order to overcome his peers. These people were below average to start out, but through tons of concentrated effort, they got ahead. Same with Charles Darwin, who strictly utilized all his time during the 5-year voyage to the Galapagos. You gotta be able to hustle like an immigrant and make every moment count, basically. 

You'll also see more opportunities as you start to master your domain, attend nearby events, meet people and mentors, etc. Sorry if this is vague advice.

@rush Whether you are an entrepreneur or not, its all about self mastery. I think our journey in this world begins with self. When we are truly self aware we make better choices in every area of life.

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly