UnbornTao

Playing With Perspectives

471 posts in this topic

But now I realize that apart from a few special days now and then, life mostly does consist of one dull, insignificant day after another. Human beings are attracted to drama and variety. The humdrum we hold in disdain. Wrapped up in the routines of our daily lives, we let them slide by unnoticed. But I believe that hidden in these ordinary, unremarkable routines of life is a great truth that requires our attention.

The business of living is not in the least special. In a sense it all comes down to two things: eating and excreting. These activities are common to all life forms. Every creature on earth is born, through eating and excreting helps maintain the balance of the great chain of being, and dies. In the realm of nature, these activities are essential to the continuity of life, and they give value to each being’s life. People are no different. If human life has meaning, it lies above all in the essential fact of our physical existence in this world. This is what I strongly believe.

By contemplating life as it is, stripped of all extraneous added value, I found I could let go of a myriad of things that had been gnawing at my mind. Through the prosaic repetition of Eiheiji’s exacting daily routines for washing the face, eating, defecating, and sleeping, this is the answer that I felt in my bones: accept unconditionally the fact of your life and treasure each moment of each day.

— Kaoru Nonomura, Eat Sleep Sit.

Edited by UnbornTao

What do you habitually apply yourself to?

Edited by UnbornTao

By attempting to modify, add to, withdraw or hide --through pretension and manipulation-- our experience of ourselves and of life, we are conceding that what is there isn't enough by itself.

As a result of this relating, a continuous struggle emerges as our background condition.

Edited by UnbornTao

Fear is as accessible and constant for us as a condition that it stops being noticed and instead recedes into the background of our experience.

What is desire?

Can you find pain behind it?

"Students today can't get anywhere; what ails you? Lack of faith in yourself is what ails you. If you lack faith in yourself, you'll keep on tumbling along, dragged this way and that."

— Rinzai

Whatever you have about the absolute is not it. Notice how language subtly influences the way you think of it as "something" that is huge, as "lots and lots". It's useful to check yourself on that.

Edited by UnbornTao

Enjoying the Shogun TV show.

Edited by UnbornTao

Perception is a meaningless phenomenon.