Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardkill

Are there actually corporate lobbyists who actually want liberal legislation passed?

4 posts in this topic

We know that corporate donors always want conservative legislation to be enacted by Congress. Though, is it possible that there are some corporate donors out there who do want some kind of liberal legislation to pass? 

According to this article down below, "A group of big-dollar donors who have spent millions electing Kyrsten Sinema and other Democratic senators threatened to sever all funding to her due to her opposition to changing Senate rules in order to pass voting rights legislation."

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/19/donors-threaten-cut-funding-sinema-527413

Unpopular industries can't support it. Popular ones can.

7 hours ago, BlueOak said:

Unpopular industries can't support it. Popular ones can.

What do you mean? Which are the popular and the unpopular ones are you talking about?

23 hours ago, Hardkill said:

What do you mean? Which are the popular and the unpopular ones are you talking about?

While the method and name of it depends on the country. Money can be used to counteract individual vote numbers or the popularity of an industry or further enhance it politically. This is one function of a lobbyist or advertising for example.

On Voting rights. Popular industries get the popular vote already, it already benefits those in power to represent them. Left to a natural state more votes will be popular than not. If a country is trying to get back to relying on purely neutral statistical voting rather than having to have large swings engaged by party consensus to achieve everything, then the necessary people that money would have to sway will be greater.

Cynically you can also reason it means those voting can demand more contributions for their vote, for example in the US senate, if votes can more easily be swung by an individual, but i'd still go with it costing unpopular industries more long term not less.

*Please note I am trying to be as general as possible speaking about money interacting with voting, all voting in a general way. I'd appreciate it if nobody tried a gotcha moment, as i am sure different countries have different safeguards and procedures that can be better defined than this.

Edited by BlueOak