King Merk

Ideal Work Day

5 posts in this topic

I’m playing around with my daily routine & trying to optimize my time.

Curious what y’all’s daily habits/routines are.

What’s are the non negotiable things you do every day?

How do you structure/prioritize your tasks for the day?

How many days a week do you take off and how do you spend those days to recover?

Drop your ideal work day below. Would love to hear them ??

The game of survival cannot be won. 

3 hours ago, King Merk said:

What’s are the non negotiable things you do every day?

How do you structure/prioritize your tasks for the day?

Priority assessment is key, and I found it's important to choose carefully and be very specific about what is more important than other things. 
For example, spiritual practice is non-negotiable for me. I also value health highly. For proper nutrition, there is no real excuse not to do it. Exercise is also very important to me, but if I have to choose between not doing my spiritual practice and not exercising, I'll choose not to exercise. It's a tough one, but I just had to define clearly what I would choose in each of these situations. 

Same with "work" - if your work is more important than exercising or whatever else, in edge cases you will know what to choose. And the work you do as a passionate embodiment of your Self is probably gonna have one of the highest priorities of all, and possibly gonna eclipse other things you value highly - but not as highly as your work (social life, exercise, entertainment, sleep, it depends what you value).

Then there is the balance aspect. I like perfectly structuring my days, but if I can't exercise today, I'll do it tomorrow when my schedule is less tight and work only 4 instead of 5 hours to compensate that day (random numbers) - because even though work is more important to me, in the big picture health and work are one, and it's great to keep things in balance in the perspective of a week, a month, etc. Not that I've mastered this, but I'm trying my best. It's hard to define clearly, a lot of intuition goes into this. Speaking of which...

Flow. There are times when I structure my days and am excited the night before, but being honest to myself the moment I'm on schedule, I might just feel that I need rest. And if it is at all possible, I then will rest. Sometimes, I need creative and playful expression. Then I will grant that. It's important not to use this as an excuse, but also not being too strict - at least that's what I find most natural. No stress, no pressure, but still doing my best in all areas. Love, patience, compassion for oneself is key. It's also dependent on my energetic phase I'm in. Sometimes it's all direction-oriented DOING, sometimes it's gentle and intuitive surrender to whatever wants to happen. To allow this dance is not easy, but feels very natural. Don't try to hustle if you need rest, silence or spontaneous surrender. Don't force yourself to rest or be floaty if your inspiration and passion are boiling and want to come out in a laser focused way.

My days now look roughly like this (there is also social time mostly on the weekends which I value highly):
- Wake up and ideally 4-5 hours of spiritual work (meditation, prayer, kriya yoga, yoga, reading)
- Working on my own project and/or going to side job
- One meal a day somewhere around noon/early afternoon
- If possible, some exercise whenever it fits, ideally shortly before eating
- If desired, creative time, social time, learning and reading

It feels good to keep it as simple as possible.

Edited by peanutspathtotruth

@peanutspathtotruth multiple knowledge bombs there. Thank you for sharing.

I especially like the part on flow/adapting to what is most needed in the moment. That balance has been a hard thing for me to find.

I need to develop more clarity around what tasks are more & less important. Right now I just have a big ass list of daily goals and the less enjoyable ones tend to be the ones more often in-completed. 

4-5 hours of spiritual work is crazy. I love it though. I’m lucky if I get 1 hour a day in. That’s inspires me to hear that others are as committed as you are to the path. 

13 hours ago, King Merk said:

@peanutspathtotruth multiple knowledge bombs there. Thank you for sharing.

I especially like the part on flow/adapting to what is most needed in the moment. That balance has been a hard thing for me to find.

I need to develop more clarity around what tasks are more & less important. Right now I just have a big ass list of daily goals and the less enjoyable ones tend to be the ones more often in-completed. 

4-5 hours of spiritual work is crazy. I love it though. I’m lucky if I get 1 hour a day in. That’s inspires me to hear that others are as committed as you are to the path. 

I think part of it is detaching from and seeing through the incessant need to get too much done every day. When I did the Notion series of August Bradley on YouTube, he mentioned doing just a few urgent things every day and not cluttering your task list. You can't do it all and that is okay. Prioritiy assessment is again key here. Todoist or a proper Notion system or something in that direction help immensely. Just find out: what is priority 1? And what can wait? And those tasks that can wait you can further assess as to what is not really that important and what should be looked into soon.

Regarding the spiritual work: the reason I'm spending so much time on it (and it's not realistic every day), is because my life purpose is spiritual work and teaching. So every hour I spend meditating I see as life purpose work. Otherwise, of course I would not be able to spend nearly as much time. Keep that in mind when you hear others being super committed is because this might be their number one or two highest priority. No one juggles full on work, spirituality, exercise, friends, hobbies and all that in a normal day. You gotta decide :)

On 07/01/2022 at 0:35 AM, peanutspathtotruth said:

No one juggles full on work, spirituality, exercise, friends, hobbies and all that in a normal day. You gotta decide :)

This alone took me years to really learn lol. I used to be so upset with myself for nor being able to cram all that into a single day.