MovForward

how can i teach self defense

6 posts in this topic

is there any way i can teach myself to be able to defend myself without taking classes?

Buy some gloves and learn to punch straight. Stretch your lower extremities so you have maximum kick reach.

Unless you mean grabbing techniques and whatnot, then no, the best way is to learn it from a instructor and years of practice.

You can but you risk injuring yourself and learning the techniques incorrectly. There is value in paying a coach. If you take 10-15 private sessions with a muay-Thai or kickboxing coach, you will be pretty capable of defending yourself for the rest of your life. KNowing how to move, sidestep and maintain your balance is even more important than being able to punch hard and that is difficult to learn on your own. Ofcourse ideally you would diffuse every situation before it breaks into a fight because starting a fight with the wrong person can get you killed. 

You can also do it yourself of course but I found when I was practicing muay-thai years ago, the most growth I had was once I signed up and paid somebody who has been doing that sort of stuff for 40 years and who has actually had years of in-ring experiences. 

It is difficult to improve on your own when you don't have a reference point of somebody correcting your posture, punches, kicks, breathing etc. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I agree with Michael here as it matches my experience.

I took a year of BJJ and Muay-Thai kickboxing back to back classes and I am shy and reserved as they come. The teachers/coaches & peers are invaluable. I would definitely recommend taking classes. Once you learn the basics of lets say kick boxing, then you could practice that on your own and I have done that in the past. 

8 hours ago, Snuitje said:

Buy some gloves and learn to punch straight. Stretch your lower extremities so you have maximum kick reach.

Unless you mean grabbing techniques and whatnot, then no, the best way is to learn it from a instructor and years of practice.

thank you

7 hours ago, Michael569 said:

You can but you risk injuring yourself and learning the techniques incorrectly. There is value in paying a coach. If you take 10-15 private sessions with a muay-Thai or kickboxing coach, you will be pretty capable of defending yourself for the rest of your life. KNowing how to move, sidestep and maintain your balance is even more important than being able to punch hard and that is difficult to learn on your own. Ofcourse ideally you would diffuse every situation before it breaks into a fight because starting a fight with the wrong person can get you killed. 

You can also do it yourself of course but I found when I was practicing muay-thai years ago, the most growth I had was once I signed up and paid somebody who has been doing that sort of stuff for 40 years and who has actually had years of in-ring experiences. 

It is difficult to improve on your own when you don't have a reference point of somebody correcting your posture, punches, kicks, breathing etc. 

thanks for the feedback i will try with a coach