Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JKG

Question About Strong Determination Sitting

3 posts in this topic

As described in Leo's video and from Shinzen Young while doing strong determination sitting you should not move. Just breathing and blinking with the eye is allowed. But I find there some problems:

1) With the time there comes a lot of salvia together in my mouth. And at a certain level the salvia would run out of my mouth ... :| So is it allowed to swallow?

2) And after a few minutes my back relaxes subconsciously and later I recognize that I don't sit nice and straight up anymore. And with the time my back gets rounder and rounder. At the end that is a pretty annoying position. Should I bring my back into a proper position again or is this against the 'rule'? Would this hinder my affect of this meditation?

1) I have used different approaches to handle the saliva-problem. In the first months of practising meditation a lot came up and I just swallowed it from time to time. Then I found that you can get rid of most of it when putting your tongue a little bit between your teeth. This does the trick for me. If you do a strong determination sit and saliva comes up, try just to keep your lips together so that nothing gets out of your mouth. If this makes you feel uncomfortable, that's what the method is supposed to do. After doing it for some time you won't even think about it any more. However, if you can't hold it any more just swallow it. It won't crash the method.

2) Keep your back in this shitty position. You probably meditate in a cross-legged position for less then six month, I'd guess. What will happen after some time is that your back automatically will stay up, be very relaxed and at the same time very erect. However, this takes some practice. When you do strong determination, you do not want to move your back consciously in any way. You wanna transcend that pain and state of mind in liberation.

If you do that for a long enough time and it hurts so bad that you're getting all crazy because your mind has no answers and your body is in pain, you will suddenly just drop the resistance and feel just fine in any position. However, for this state to come it'll take some pains. 

What'll also happen is that your understanding of pain will dramatically change.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

Thanks for the quick answer. I'll try it out tomorrow ^_^ although I know that it will be sooo uncomfortable