Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
How to be wise

2 Types Of Life Purposes

2 posts in this topic

So I noticed that there are two types of life purposes. 

The first one is where you open a business which tries to make a big change in the world, for example opening a business which sells electric cars and has a goal of eradicating petroleum cars. 

The second type is where you have a dream which is basically very unlikely according to most people, but if it happens, people's lives will change forever. For example, as a physicist my dream is to figure out how to make a wormhole which could let us travel billions of light years instantly. It is (according to the laws of physics) possible, but most of my colleagues tell me that I'm thinking millianiums ahead of myself. 

So my question is, is it worth spending my whole life trying to figure this out and hope that it is possible, and that if it does happen, then humanity will advance a lot. Am I thinking too big? 

And if I decide to spend my life working on that, I have to find myself a 9-5 job, because unlike the first type of life purpose, I can't make a business out of this. 

Any my opinions or suggestions? 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise Not really.

Life purpose is about finding the kind of impact you want to make and your domain of mastery.

A big mistake is to think of life purpose as a single narrow project, like: building a wormhole.

That's way too narrow.

Nothing wrong with wanting to build a wormhole, but the fact is, you're putting the cart before the horse. You have no idea right now what is and isn't possible within your domain of mastery. Nor should you.

What you're really interested in there is physics, or whatever.

So isolate the essence of what about building a wormhole appeals to you so much.

And then you'll see that not only can you pursue stuff like building wormholes, but also perhaps even better things which you can't even imagine yet.

Why are you passionate about building a wormhole?

Hint: the answer has nothing to do with wormholes.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.