jakub_friso

What Do You Think About My Personal Development Definition?

4 posts in this topic

Personal Development is a field of study where the observed subject is human mind and it's internal, cognitive, mental processes - towards reality or another processes - thoughts.

Essential part of this study (what distincts it from, for example - psychology) is also development and execution/practice of a new cognitive processes in order to yield positive mental results, emotions and feelings. 

(of course, all the mental thoughts and images are only in human consciousness)

Edited by jakub_friso

12 minutes ago, jakub_friso said:

Personal Development is a field of study where the observed subject is human mind and it's internal, cognitive, mental processes - towards reality or another processes - thoughts.

Essential part of this study (what distincts it from, for example - psychology) is also development and execution/practice of a new cognitive processes in order to yield positive mental results, emotions and feelings. 

(of course, all the mental thoughts and images are only in human consciousness)

I think personal development is 2/3  internal, cognitive, and mental. The other 1/3 is practical and physical. 

That's just an estimated guess you can adjust the percentages as you like. So I think it's more internal, cognitive, and mental. Still a large chunk will be practical and physical. 

The brain needs to come up with the idea first but there still needs to be action taken out in the world. 

@STC Yes you are right that the ratio between those things you say is very subjective and relevant but, Did I hit the spot on defyning what personal development is, what is at it's core and what components does it bear? 

@jakub_friso I did read over the second part of your definition. I think your definition of Personal Development work is good yes.

For what its worth to you: What I experience with Personal development work  is that the greatest results are being achieved by multiple smaller actions/parts that together are greater then the sum of its parts.  

For instance if I had just started working out and had done nothing else it probably would have had little effect on the quality of my life.

But now that I started working out, started cooking, eat more healthy, watch my finances, quit multi-media (Facebook), reading and self-study History, Psychology, and Philosophy. All these relatively little changes together are making a big impact on my life.

Basically now I sleep better, I am more energetic, generally more happy, and I have more vision and focus. 

Another thing is that I noticed that these habits grow their fruits over time. If for instance I eat a healthy meal once, it wont make much of a difference how I feel. If I eat healthy for a week I feel a little better. But when I eat healthy for months it has a very big effect. 

Same for quitting multi-media. One day without Facebook and you are still in that mindset. Months without Facebook and it really changes the quality of your thought patterns.

So what I am thinking is that quality Personal Development is not sudden and erratic but slow and stable.