Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
herghly

experiences with tibetan practices

6 posts in this topic

Interested to hear more about tibetan practices. Has anyone sat on retreats?  And what meditations did you learn?

I have studied with Lama Lena, and I would recommend her as a teacher.  She is very knowledgeable, open, and giving.  She has been conducting online teachings and retreats during the pandemic, and she has many public teachings available on YouTube.  She teaches Dzogchen, Mahamudra, and some Tantra sadhanas.

https://lamalenateachings.com/

Like Shambhu, I've also been in contact with Lama Lena. 

Dzogchen has a lot of great practices. You could also read some of Chogyam Trungpa's books (guy was a bit nutty, but his writing is great). Smiling at Fear is probably his best-known work. Look into the practices of trekcho, mahamudra, and tonglen. The last is something you can do without any help, and the other two are quite easy to learn from a teacher. Tibetan Buddhism is also famous for its in-depth work with dream yoga, or dream meditation. 

11 hours ago, Shambhu said:

I have studied with Lama Lena, and I would recommend her as a teacher.  She is very knowledgeable, open, and giving.  She has been conducting online teachings and retreats during the pandemic, and she has many public teachings available on YouTube.  She teaches Dzogchen, Mahamudra, and some Tantra sadhanas.

https://lamalenateachings.com/

what's your experience with Mahamudra? I've heard a lot of good things about it. I've look at doing a retreat with dan brown

@herghly I've done a "Pointing Out Way" retreat with one of Dan Brown's students, and I believe it's worth while.  They have a good methodology that progresses you rather quickly, and they provide follow up support.  If you feel drawn to Mahamudra, and you like a systematic program, then Dan's camp is a good one.

Lama Lena teaches Mahamudra as well, but her style is quite different from Dan's.  She has some videos on the subject available on YouTube, so you can get a feel for how she teaches.  Her specialty is really Dzogchen, and if you want a more direct approach, then you may want to look into that. 

Regardless of which direction you choose, be sure to work with a component teacher that can assist you along the path.