Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Theprofessional

Tormented by the concept of "Mastery"

4 posts in this topic

Hi. I've been watching Leo for a long time, and saw a video that really clicked with me a few months ago. It was newer, and in it he talked specifically about how the idea of success can't hinge on a single project, but your goal instead has to transcend to the mastery of the field. And your goal should instead be, instead of doing one project really well, to become amazing at whatever skill that is. This hit me at a crazy time, when I was about to go all-in and make an indie film I'd been thinking about for a long time.

I dropped the film and read several books on Mastery to grasp more of what he was talking about. I've wanted to get better at filmmaking for a long time, and it's something I'm very passionate about. However, focusing on filmmaking from the perspective of "becoming amazing" or "mastering the field" is absolute torture, and I've actually completely lost productivity by studying Mastery and trying to apply it to filmmaking. I've been paralyzed for months because I don't know how to even begin training with that kind of mindset.

"Becoming amazing" is not quantifiable, so my brain can't process it, no matter how hard I try. However, "Making X film" is concrete and tangible, so my brain has no problem moving forward and working on that. I know how stupid and neurotic this all sounds, but I'm now haunted by the fact that I shouldn't focus on making a single film, and my results have waned. The goal of Mastery seems WAY too big and abstract, and I don't know how to approach it. Is Mastery even a goal? Will your skills decline once you reach that goal, since getting there is all you cared about? Thanks.

The way you master filmmaking is by making one film at a time.

However, the difference is that with the mastery mindset you're not placing your hopes into any one film succeeding, you're rather focused on the process of making each film. Focus on the technical aspects of the filmmaking process and reframe all your mistakes as getting you closer and closer to mastering filmmaking.

Your goal is not to make one film. Your goal is to become a master filmmaker by making one film at a time.

See the difference?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Oh, so I can focus on the one, but Mastery is basically just "Be consistent", "Study your errors," and "Never quit". Never quitting, even if you're succeeding. Thank you Leo!!!

Mastery is a concept that points to actuality. It's not the actuality of mastery which torments you, but the thoughts you have about mastery. You are paralyzed by your thoughts, not mastery. The struggles are all "in your head", but mastery is right here, right now.

The simplest, most joyful way to go about mastery is to simply have fun with the thing you want to master. If discordant thoughts arise, notice that they are just that - discordant thoughts, which 'suck you out of the present moment'. You are free to let them go, be present with whatever is arising in your experience, and choose thoughts about mastery, which feel better to you. :)