Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charlie cho

Enneagram 3w2, a needy little performer? or a loving achiever?

1 post in this topic

I have seen many of my heroes were achievers but at the same time who had deep compassion for the world. It wasn't enough if they were just compassionate. It wasn't enough if they were conquerors and achievers. To me, the best man represented a person who loved achieving and conquering, contributing and creating, but at the same time having that achievement be based on compassion and love. My heroes are usually 3w2, or 2w3. 

But I've taken the test and I also got a 3w2. It was a 1% difference from me having a 8w7, but I knew I was a 3, because I was more ashamed by the weaknesses 3 and 2 had more than the 8 and a 7. Meaning, there were much more painpoints that I could relate to being a 3 and a 2. 

2s are famous for either being needy and approval seeking or being a tremendous lover and giver who loves to give service. 3s have a reputation for either being a dancing performer wanting attention for his achievements, or a just being plain old bad ass achiever who GETS THINGS DONE. We obviously want to embody the latter and be the positive sides for our personalities, but I struggle to understand...

whenever I see videos explaining the enneagram 2, they keep demonstrating the 2 as if they are just needy little nurses. As if all their talent relies not on giving and loving, service, but their talent solely relies on being liked? Nothing wrong with being liked and loved. Yes, I see that 2s do have a particular talent for being loved, but these videos continuously emphasizing this fact disturbs me. Because to my understanding, the specialty of the twos are not that they are "talented" at being "liked" but it is their devotion to service and love, and how great they are being a lover and a compassionate person. Probably Jesus was a two. Idk. And I can be confident that Jesus didn't care less about being accepted or loved, yet he was loved and accepted more than anybody. 

So I felt like 3w2 was labeled as a needy performer continuously, which doesn't fit well into my description of what a true healthy 3w2 would be or a 2w3. 3w2 would put achieving a little more important than loving, while the 2w3 will be more compassionate then be achieving. I don't get how being a two makes us needy. Being a lover, giver has nothing to do with being needy. Can't wrap my f*ing brain around this.