Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Durden

Is reality a "Potemkin Village"?

9 posts in this topic

The original story was that Potemkin erected phony portable settlements along the banks of the Dnieper River in order to impress the Russian Empress; the structures would be disassembled after she passed, and re-assembled farther along her route to be viewed again as if another example. 

Is this a good explanation of what's actually happening in reality as we are moving around? 

@Tyler Durden its Being.  But you can't capture Being via any type of logic because it's prior to rationality.  That's why with your question yesterday you wondered why it seems like the present moment is always eluding us.  It seems like it's there and gone over and over for eternity.  Actually all there is is Being and it's eternal.   Being and Consciousness are the same thing.  You don't know Being you just become directly conscious of it by being it.  Which you could say is a classical satori or enlightenment 

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 Yeah, I understand it's hard to put that into words. I was just wondering is Being that we call reality constantly constructed around us as we are moving to keep us inside the illusion the entire time?

18 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

@Inliytened1 Yeah, I understand it's hard to put that into words. I was just wondering is Being that we call reality constantly constructed around us as we are moving to keep us inside the illusion the entire time?

It is..lol..Well Being isn't constructed it is the structure itself but it is constructing the content you could say.  Being is God.  God is constructing all of physical reality via imagination.  Hence the dream or illusion! 

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 That makes sense. Content is constructed on the spot without anything truly behind it. When we see buildings around us, for example, there is nothing behind the facade. That's all there is at the moment just like a Potemkin Village from the story.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

@Inliytened1 That makes sense. Content is constructed on the spot without anything truly behind it. When we see buildings around us, for example, there is nothing behind the facade. That's all there is at the moment just like a Potemkin Village from the story.

That's what I have found for myself anyway.  I see your point better now.  Yeah reality is appearance without substance.  The question of if a tree falls in the forest with no one around to be conscious of it does it actually make a sound had always troubled me as a kid...i could intuit even at a young age that it didn't make sense that there could be an objective reality independent of consciousness - or stuff behind the scenes.  Then many years later when I stumbled on spirituality it all started coming together.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 I also had that thoughts before but then I realised there is no tree if it's not being observed so the question does it makes a sound becomes obsolete.

Edited by Tyler Durden

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

@Inliytened1 I also had that thoughts before but then I realised there is no tree if it's not being observed so the question does it makes a sound becomes obsolete.

Yep :)

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Inliytened1 Quantum Mechanics helped me with that realisation. I guess even science can be helpful for spiritual growth sometimes.

Edited by Tyler Durden