Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Durden

God's number

7 posts in this topic

I recently watched Darren Aronofsky's movie Pi. Main character is a number theorist who believes everything in nature can be understood through numbers. He meets Hasidic Jew who tells him that Torah is a string of numbers forming a code sent by God. Also, a rabbi tells him that there was a 216-digit number, believing it was meant to bring about the messianic age, as the number represents the unspeakable name of God.

Is there any truth in any of that? Does God communicate with itself through numbers?

Numbers are just symbols.

Can you understand the color blue through numbers? Can you calculate your way into feeling sorrow, love or hope? 

17 minutes ago, Tim R said:

Numbers are just symbols.

Can you understand the color blue through numbers? Can you calculate your way into feeling sorrow, love or hope? 

By definition numbers are mathematical objects used to count, measure, and label but I was wondering do they have some higher value. I agree with you they can't be used to understand those things but maybe they point to the true nature of reality in some way.

9 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

but maybe they point to the true nature of reality in some way.

@Tyler Durden Numbers are finite symbols - in fact, every symbol is finite, or it wouldn't be a symbol. Reality is infinite and not a symbol. 

To ask whether numbers can in some way grasp reality is like asking whether your pinky finger can grasp your entire hand. Actually, it's even worse. It's like asking whether the mere words "pinky finger" can grasp your entire hand. 

10 minutes ago, Tim R said:

@Tyler Durden Numbers are finite symbols - in fact, every symbol is finite, or it wouldn't be a symbol. Reality is infinite and not a symbol. 

To ask whether numbers can in some way grasp reality is like asking whether your pinky finger can grasp your entire hand. Actually, it's even worse. It's like asking whether the mere words "pinky finger" can grasp your entire hand. 

Math is the foundation of all science and science is the best way to describe rules of this dream that we are currently living in. I know it doesn't represent the ultimate Truth but it can explain in which way God coded reality.

@Tyler Durden Symbols are projections. There aren't any numbers or mathematical or natural laws "out there". All of science and mathematics is 100% projection. 

I like the way Alan Watts describes this: 

6 hours ago, Tim R said:

@Tyler Durden Symbols are projections. There aren't any numbers or mathematical or natural laws "out there". All of science and mathematics is 100% projection. 

I like the way Alan Watts describes this: 

I don't deny that. I just think God maybe uses it to make the process of rediscovering itself more interesting. That's why it put certain numbers in nature's patterns and religious texts for us to find and get closer to our true self.