Sam

Choosing Between Very Difficult Life Purposes !!

5 posts in this topic

note: (I will omit some details in order to keep it short and comprehensible, for instance the word science were used instead of the specific field that I am passionate about.)

There are two life purposes that seems very attractive for me. Unfortunately, it's quite tough to stick to one.

The first one is becoming a scholar in science and to devote a large proportion of my life to it. I want to discover new ideas and be committed to this seemingly noble life purpose. However, after speaking to some experienced people in the field. They tell me that I am young and should rather build my life and worry about a secure future instead (Independence, financially able and maybe raising a family). The path I am choosing pays very little and in order to survive you'll need to work very hard and publish a tremendous amount of research that not only requires talents that I might potentially not have, but also my youth itself since it's a very long path. Seriously I'll need to become a professor.

The second one is briefly, becoming wealthy by starting a business and that will eventually inspire others to do the same and I'll also be able to help those in need, particularly to fight poverty and injustice by acquiring the power to do so. That makes it a noble pursuit. This purpose seems more capable to influence a large number of people than the first one which is rather esoteric. However I am still inclined towards the first one for some reason.

Conclusion:

Well, I am worried and confused that I'll make a regretful choice. I feel that the first one seems more close to me but most people advice me against it and I know that the financial gains will be negligible relative to being an entrepreneur plus it's emotionally difficult path to pursue and also time consuming. The field is theoretical and its beauty lies in its ideas - (That doesn't really bother me but people seems to point it out as being a huge reason to pick the second path).

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Sam

What would you do if you had $100 million dollars and didn't care about money at all any more?

Take money out of the decision. Money clouds your vision.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Have you tried pursuing either of the two? What are your accomplishments and experience in each? Apart from Leo's advice, it's a good idea to talk to people who actually do what you do, see how they work, what they deal with, what character traits are required etc. I don't believe you can theorize your life purpose. It's mostly an experiential thing.

The ego is driving others to say think of the money, but your spirit is pulling you in another direction. The spirit leads to the right path. 

If you go with the option that makes you feel the most alive, you can't lose.   You might open up so many more doors having taken that road instead of the "safe" road.  You really owe it to yourself to follow your heart.