OhHiMark

Managing The Ego And Doing What's Emotionally Hardest

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I've noticed habits I still can't quite kick and they seem to be related to the 'Me me me ego'. I'm making big progress in recognising when the ego rears it's head i.e at work; I see the some same old colleagues every daybut never say hello 'because' they have never bothered to say it back, typical 'I' thinking, all about me, they should say it first etc etc.

When dealing with the situations like the above, is it best to attack it head on i.e start saying hello and forcing situations where the ego doesn't want to lose face or simply identify the situations and move on.

The reason for the thread is because the above sounds like I should be doing CBT, should this be case for any situation where either the ego is too proud or too scared, face it head on?

I've listened to Leo's audio on do whatever is emotionally hardest, which I guess answers my question but would like some thoughts and even better, situations you've guys have had that have improved.

Where do you draw the line between identifying and starting conversations with every stranger.

Edited by OhHiMark

@OhHiMark Holy crap, you're overthinking talking way too much. Just, talk when you feel like it and see how it goes, and just do what's emotionally hard e.g. talking the truth, as it has amazing benefits, but is costly. Continue this, and meditate. Simple. Stop overthinking, the best thing you can do is under think. Just do it if it feels natural, if you feel like talking talk, there is nothing to be scared about, your mind is simply creating pictures in your head :D, mine does the same thing, but in reality its not so bad, its actually pleasant, as long as your not using it as an emotional crutch for your problems. 

Enjoy this amazing life man! And Relax. :D

"It is YOU that must change for all else to change." - Me.

@OhHiMark I can relate to you, this happens with my ego very often and tends to be very destructive. So far I still haven't developed enough clarity to pacify this shit. Once enough clarity is developed all neurosis dissolves. You need more understanding, and the reason you do what you do is none other than - you believe it'll relieve your suffering. The root of all desire is compassion which can actually lead to liberation although when filtered by ego becomes more suffering instead. Desire and compassion is like a continuum, as your understanding develops desire will purify itself into it's true nature. As a fairly unconscious person, I'm merely parroting what I've seen and haven't experienced this for myself although I do assume this is true. There are many nuances to this topic and I can't say for sure I'm correct.

As for a more practical approach, I think facing it head on by both fully feeling whatever resistance you have, and taking action that makes you feel most vulnerable would be as best as it gets.

Good luck, cheers.