Gesundheit2

Front & Back

42 posts in this topic

Currently reading "Simple Program Design" by Lesley Anne Robertson. It explains how to design solutions to programming problems before starting to code them into a specific language, which is a must-have basic skill for any programmer. Interesting read, so far.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

Screenshot_2021-10-24-23-07-27.jpg

From "You Don't Know JavaScript".

It's not okay that some things in this business are not backwards compatible. Ex: React Router v6.

Routing should be automated through a UI application. Coding everything from scratch is stupid and time-wasting. There's nothing creative about writing the same code over and over again.

On 9/10/2021 at 2:09 PM, Gesundheit2 said:

One of the most illogical things I've noticed about JavaScript (I don't know about other programming languages) is that there's something called a "constant variable".

It's paradoxical, because a constant is by definition something that doesn't change, and a variable is by definition something that is always changing. So, why did they call it a constant variable?

In practice, there are three different keywords for variables in JavaScript...

The "let", "var", and "const" keywords.

Essentially, you can change the value of let and var variables anytime you want. But that doesn't apply to const variables. Once you assign a const value to a variable, it cannot be updated in the future. So, I get the point of this technicality and how that is useful in practice. But I still, nevertheless, find it semantically wrong.

On 9/20/2021 at 10:37 AM, Gesundheit2 said:

Turns out a constant variable carries the functionality of both words.

The way I understand how it works now is similar to a closet. A const variable is a closet that has a particular shape and functionality that cannot be changed;

• const cannot change through re-assignment.
  • const cannot be re-declared.

But const objects and arrays can be updated through methods because the changes will then happen to the stored values, not to the closet that's containing them. I don't think I fully understand it yet. It's probably a bit more nuanced than that.

And I'm sure the logic behind it is a lot more complex than this superficial explanation, but it's not in the scope of my goals here, so I'm not gonna research it.

Lol. What the hell?! That's what you get when you skip steps. Though, in my case it's normal, cuz I'm self-learning and don't have a mentor or anything.

Anyway, the concept I was looking for was "memory pointers and (reference-types vs. primitive types)". I've learned about it earlier this year when I went back and studied some of C language. It all makes perfect sense now.

Edited by Gesundheit2

My logic is improving. And my thinking speed, too. And I'm finally over the learning curve.

Everything is flowing smoothly now. All the concepts are making sense. All the puzzle pieces are coming together. And the bigger picture is forming.

Time to build that fucking portfolio! But I have medical school exams on my ass. I'll probably deprioritize the exams for the portfolio. I don't care about the medical certificate. I'm not gonna use it anyway.

yo! you are doing programming too??
can you share resources for a total beginner? i started with freecodecamp

Everything is flowing smoothly now. All the concepts are making sense. All the puzzle pieces are coming together. And the bigger picture is forming.

its starting to snow ball! congrats.

also i have the same plan, get medical or engineering degree (just cuz my parents lol) then do life purpose.

good luck for you man!

@Ayham Hey, man! Hope you're doing great!

Yes, I would recommend starting here: https://www.youtube.com/c/ProgrammingAdvices

I wish I knew some of the stuff this guy is saying when I first started, even though some of it might sound discouraging at first. So before starting to learn programming, try to get a general overview of the path you're about to take. Don't worry about the details for now. They will work themselves out automatically as you go through them. But just understand the practical steps (what you need to know) and the route you want to take, e.g. Web development, mobile app development, game development, etc. Many people are talking positively about CS50, I haven't personally seen it, but you might want to look it up.

Ideally, I think it's best to have a mentor or something like that to tell you what to do step-by-step, but I don't know if you can find one. I know a couple of people in IT, and they helped me a little, but it's not the same as having a mentor. It's a huge field with a variety of routes/options, and it's quickly evolving. Moreover it's becoming more complex everyday. Of course, feel free to ask me anything, and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Anyway, there are countless courses and resources on the internet, and most of them are free, like on YouTube. You can also find paid Udemy courses on torrent. But what I didn't know is that they assume that you are already an IT student or graduate, so they assume that you've got the basics out of the way, like understanding the difference between programming and programming languages, algorithms and problem solving, all of which are a huge part of any programming path (but not all of it). But they don't mention that in the courses, because it'll discourage people, and they want more views/sales, not less.

Also, I don't recommend doing something just because of parents. I did that, and it didn't work out well for me, cuz I lost all motivation. It's hard to stick to a path that does not resonate with you, especially if it's a long path.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Hey, man! Hope you're doing great!

I am, hope you are too.

Yes, I would recommend starting here: https://www.youtube.com/c/ProgrammingAdvices

yo, i am actually Arabic (i guess you are too) from Iraq, so that is a cool resource, will check it out.

I wish I knew some of the stuff this guy is saying when I first started, even though some of it might sound discouraging at first. So before starting to learn programming, try to get a general overview of the path you're about to take

well, my plan is to learn HTML then CSS then JavaScript then PHP, in that order, i am currently doing  HTML.

Many people are talking positively about CS50, I haven't personally seen it, but you might want to look it up.

yeah i saw people talking about it when i searched threads about it.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhQjrBD2T382_R182iC2gNZI9HzWFMC_8here it is.

you know what i might actually watch it, i dismissed it first.

Of course, feel free to ask me anything, and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Also, I don't recommend doing something just because of parents. I did that, and it didn't work out well for me, cuz I lost all motivation. It's hard to stick to a path that does not resonate with you, especially if it's a long path.

well, i don't really know, i mean i love learning on my own, but studying for school has been a pain the ass, so i don't know about college.

and if somehow i fail to get out of Iraq, to live well here I need a college degree.

and i also need more time to build a better foundation.

plus my parents are not very soft in stuff related to college, they are more like forcing me into it.

anyways tysm bro.

I have an idea for a future project. There aren't any competitors currently, and it looks promising.

First killer idea! I'll write it down privately.

EDIT: Actually, turns out there is one competitor, but it's on a very small scale, almost unrecognizable.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Alright, I'm going to start building a simple blog website for myself as a start, maybe I'll turn it into a forum in the future. It's not going to be the best-looking website, though. And it's not going to be the most featured one, either. Just a basic website with authentication (signup, login, etc.) as a testimony for my progress and the skills I have learned so far. I'll post the final result when it's finished. Let's see how long this is going to take. As a challenge, I'll try to finish the whole thing within the next two weeks max. I don't know if it should take shorter or longer on average, but just for accountability.

On 9/28/2022 at 7:29 PM, Gesundheit2 said:

Alright, I'm going to start building a simple blog website for myself as a start, maybe I'll turn it into a forum in the future. It's not going to be the best-looking website, though. And it's not going to be the most featured one, either. Just a basic website with authentication (signup, login, etc.) as a testimony for my progress and the skills I have learned so far. I'll post the final result when it's finished. Let's see how long this is going to take. As a challenge, I'll try to finish the whole thing within the next two weeks max. I don't know if it should take shorter or longer on average, but just for accountability.

Putting the finishing touches on this S.O.B.

Will probably be done tonight, and will upload and host tomorrow.

And then I don't want to look at another piece of code for a couple of days.

https://gesinsights.onrender.com/

Okay, it's frustrating that after all these hours a small problem occurs out of the blue and throws a wrench into the works. Everything was working fine during development, so it has to do with deployment. I've fixed this CORS error before, but this time it seems more stubborn than the usual, and I need a break. The site is currently just a frontend app. There is no functionality because of this error. You can't sign up or post as of now. But feel free to browse and see the styling.

Edited by Gesundheit2
updated link, yet still not linked with the backend

8 hours ago, Gesundheit2 said:

https://gesinsights.onrender.com/

Okay, it's frustrating that after all these hours a small problem occurs out of the blue and throws a wrench into the works. Everything was working fine during development, so it has to do with deployment. I've fixed this CORS error before, but this time it seems more stubborn than the usual, and I need a break. The site is currently just a frontend app. There is no functionality because of this error. You can't sign up or post as of now. But feel free to browse and see the styling.

Okay, so I'm using Postman to test and debug. The backend seems to be working fine in Postman. So that means the problem is indeed a CORS thing, cuz Postman bypasses this security test by default. So that means that the error is in the way that the frontend and backend are connected with each other. And since the backend/server is responding correctly, then the error is most likely on the frontend/client/browser or in the connection that's being made. I'll continue debugging and see where this will go. However, it's lunch time now.

Hey, yo! It's finally working!

Here: https://gesinsights.onrender.com/

Create an account and start journaling in private.

Any email address will work. It doesn't even need to exist. Ex: anything@something.thing

But the password needs to be at least 8 characters long including at least one uppercase letter and one number and one special character.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Burnout is a real phenomenon. It's not only related to the body, but also the mind. So much screen time is starting to hurt my eyes and my back, and so much thinking time is starting to hurt my brain. I've done very well in the past couple of months, but I seriously need to take a break. I have pushed myself beyond my limits before, and it didn't pan out well for me. I will never risk doing that again. I just can't. Whatever the motivation and end result, it's never worth destroying my health for it. Though, it's become hard to stop after having built this much momentum. After you have installed certain habits, they become almost automatic you don't even need to think about doing them anymore, they get wired and ingrained deeply into your mind that you don't need to exercise your will in order to take action anymore. Action starts initially as 80% will power to create 20% habitual change. In the end, the percentages get inverted. Your habits take action for you. I need to be careful and know when and how to rest. It's funny how it takes work to rest, and how it takes rest to work. And also how it takes work to work, and how it takes rest to rest.