Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Preety_India

Wall of text - rich and valuable experiences

7 posts in this topic

General subject discussion and understanding. 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

The thinker and the thoughts 

I don't know if I agree to this. 

I don't want to waste my time on reading random walls of text. Only those walls of text that deserve my time. 

5izjei.gif

Edited by Preety_India

Leave a symbol like. ⚽

Use approximately 20 minutes to half an hour. 

Edited by Preety_India

Egosyntonic and egodystonic. 

5 factor model used in Dsm manual. 

In psychoanalysis, egosyntonic refers to the behaviors, values, and feelings that are in harmony with or acceptable to the needs and goals of the ego, or consistent with one's ideal self-image. Egodystonic (or ego alien is the opposite, referring to thoughts and behaviors (dreams, compulsions, desires, etc.) that are in conflict, or dissonant, with the needs and goals of the ego, or, further, in conflict with a person's ideal self-image.

Abnormal psychology has studied egosyntonic and egodystonic concepts in some detail. Many personality disorders are egosyntonic, which makes their treatment difficult as the patients may not perceive anything wrong and view their perceptions and behavior as reasonable and appropriate.For example, a person with narcissistic personality disorder has an excessively positive self-regard and rejects suggestions that challenge this viewpoint. This corresponds to the general concept in psychiatry of poor insight. (I think I'll call it poor self understanding.) Anorexia nervosa, a difficult-to-treat (formerly considered an Axis I disorder before the release of the DSM 5) characterized by a distorted body image and fear of gaining weight, is also considered egosyntonic because many of its sufferers deny that they have a problem. (poor self understanding and denial basically). Problem gambling, however, is only sometimes seen as egosyntonic, depending partly on the reactions of the individual involved and whether they know that their gambling is problematic.

An illustration of the differences between an egodystonic and egosyntonic mental disorder is in comparing obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and obsessive-compulsive personality disorder. OCD is considered to be egodystonic as the thoughts and compulsions experienced or expressed are not consistent with the individual's self-perception, meaning the patient realizes the obsessions are unreasonable and are often distressed by their obsessions. In contrast, obsessive-compulsive personality disorder is egosyntonic, as the patient generally perceives their obsession with orderliness, perfectionism, and control, as reasonable and even desirable.

☕☕☕

For example an egosyntonic NPD victim will not realize that their symptoms are harmful to others around them. Whereas an egodystonic NPD patient will realize that their symptoms are not what they truly desire, they don't accept them, don't justify them, realize that others are being affected or harmed by their behaviors and want some degree of control and recovery technique to get out of it and be more normal. 

Edited by Preety_India

The 5 factor model for DSM. 

The DSM-5 Personality and Personality Disorders Work Group proposes to diagnose the disorders largely in terms of a 25 trait dimensional model organized within five broad domains (i.e., negative affectivity, detachment, antagonism, disinhibition, and psychoticism).

Negative affectivity 

Detachment 

Antagonism 

Disinhibition 

Psychoticism