Self-Mastery

Suppression Of Emotion Versus Emotional Labor

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I hear that Leo always advises that suppression of an emotion is destructive and bad. On the other hand, he always encourages us to go through emotional labor. Can someone clarify for me the difference between these two terms? For instance, if I want to get rid of a bad habit, I am required to accept emotional labor. But, how can I know that I am not suppressing my feeling?

Thank you!

sit in a quiet place. Think back on those times you felt bad emotions. How do you feel? Why do you feel? Answer honestly, with an open mind. Don't suppress it, don't change it. Just tell yourself "I accept these emotions because they are part of me". Do it until you feel peaceful.

An example of suppressing your feeling would be - constantly checking these forums for a new reply because your mind is attention deficit 

Meditation is like polishing a brick to make a mirror. Philosophy is like a net to catch water. The buddah did not meditate. It's just how he sits. 

- Alan Watts 

@Self-Mastery in summary it is like this; when you have problems they're usually associated with a core issue such as worthlessness,fear... ect. 

So you sit down and meditate. Trigger that emotion and live through the hell of it. Not hide, not try to get away or suppress. Fun times!!! There might be a lot of crying and kicking involved. But you stay there. 

Now that doesn't mean that all of a sudden your experiences in the outer world will change in a day but you will be effected less overtime and stop making decisions based on those negative thoughts and feelings