Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BartekD

israel palestine conflict

4 posts in this topic

Has anyone been following what is going on with the israel palestine conflict. I'm quite out of the loop, I usually try not to pay too much attention to news. I see people talking about this all the time but I recently got some biased views and also not enough context so it's hard to make sense of what's going on. 

I recommend that you watch a YouTube channel called "Sulha" its owned by an Israeli guy named Adar that discusses the Israel-Palestine conflict from a less bias for one side and tries to see each perspective and to understand them  (I'd say its a green/yellow channel) he invites both Israelies and Palestinales to discuss and debate and also right wing and left wing Israelis/Palestinians

If you really want to dig deep into the subject I recommand that you start reading books instead of getting reductive perspectives from the mainstream media, a good start will be the book "Righteous Victims" by benny Morris

Edited by Mr Being

@Mr Being Thank you for the recommendation, ill check it out and the channel and the book and hopefully take it from there 

I’d recommend starting with some of those Vox YouTube explainer videos. It took me years to really piece a decent timeline of events from the late 1800s to today. You can’t really have a strong opinion on the issue if you don’t know the history.

key events to learn would be

-the beginning of Zionism in the 1800s

-Balfour declaration

-1947 partition plan, subsequent 1948 war, and the nakba

-1967 war (key)

-peace deal with Egypt 

-Oslo Accords and Camp David

-2005 withdrawal from Gaza

-2014 Gaza/Israel war