tsuki

Identity building technologies of the modern world

7 posts in this topic

Very enlightening description of various modes of identity building.

As an authentic identity builder, I have to disagree that authenticity is about being original. I have my own view on this matter.

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

I authentically relate to this information and would like to ground my profile identity in something I have curated.

I remember watching this a few years ago and recognising how big it is that a new media takes its cues from older forms even though it's fundamentally different. Looking in the rearview mirror as McLuhan said.
I never managed to connect it to how we use new mediums to construct our sense of self and the distinctions between sincerity, authenticity and prolificity although it's quite obvious now. It will be interesting to see how this evolves as technologies evolve with us.
What could come after prolificity? It will also be interesting to contemplate how this could be exploited and what the negative aspects of the different identity building technologies are.

Edited by MuadDib
I like bonding with my generalized abstract peer. *hugs*

4 hours ago, MuadDib said:

I authentically relate to this information and would like to ground my profile identity in something I have curated.

It will also be interesting to contemplate how this could be exploited and what the negative aspects of the different identity building technologies are.

With regards to your question, I don't fully agree with all of the statements about the identity building technologies. For instance, the professor was saying that they are distinct in that they are somehow alternatives. I believe that they stack nicely and actually correspond to how we learn and grow.

Sincerity give us the tools to act efficiently in the world and integrate the work we do into our lives by giving us careers.

Authenticity gives us a sense of personal empowerment, character and magnetism that we are able to express using our skills.

Then, there is profilocity that enables us to genuinely advertise our sincere and authentic efforts.

One could picture a Venn diagram that would show intersections between these areas. Authenticity and Sincerity creates something of a hermit. Sincerity and Profilicity, a hustler. Profilicity and Authenticity, an inspiring leader. In the middle, the three intersect as a life purpose.

If you flip this description, it is easy to see the downsides of each of the technologies. When taken to the extreme, sincere identities are like the silent generation, completely dry, unrelatable and rigid, based in societal norms and duties. Authentic ones, are the unrecognized artists and geniuses that struggle to live. Profilers, on the other hand, are, plainly speaking, scam artists - a promise of a product that does not deliver.

Edited by tsuki

@tsuki Nicely put.  I hadn't contemplated it for very long but I tend to agree with what you say.

You could also make a Venn diagram of all the pathologies from each technology so you know that if you're a completely dry, unrelatable, rigid, unrecognized artist/genius that's struggling to live and would scam at the drop of a hat, then you're truly living your LP.

I guess having the categories defined helps me to see where I am tripping up. I have tended to base too much of my identity on authenticity at the expense of fitting in and marketing myself well or playing by the social rules. When I was younger I experienced a lot of internal struggle with this. I think if I could have seen that there needs to be a balance between these things then I probably could have made things easier for myself. I agree they're interlinked, and perhaps stackable, at least prolificity stacks on top of authenticity and sincerity. 

It might also be useful to contemplate what the conflicts between each of them could be, so you could better navigate life situations where it might be tough to decide whether you want to be authentic, sincere or profile building in a particular situation.

5 minutes ago, MuadDib said:

I have tended to base too much of my identity on authenticity at the expense of fitting in and marketing myself well or playing by the social rules. When I was younger I experienced a lot of internal struggle with this. I think if I could have seen that there needs to be a balance between these things then I probably could have made things easier for myself.

I don't know how old are you, but I'm guessing pretty young, so don't beat yourself up too much. The teenage struggle is the same for everybody. We're just learning to be authentic, while still clinging to our parents and school circles. Extremes are necessary so that we can learn the toxic excesses of each stage. It's a dynamic.

You still got plenty of time.

5 minutes ago, MuadDib said:

It might also be useful to contemplate what the conflicts between each of them could be, so you could better navigate life situations where it might be tough to decide whether you want to be authentic, sincere or profile building in a particular situation.

Oh, that's interesting, never thought of that. Thank you.

Edited by tsuki