avk123

Started Watching The Walking Dead.

9 posts in this topic

Good day fam,

So I started watching the Walking dead for the first time yesterday, and I'm really finding it fascinating, it isn't really about the zombie parts that fascinate me, its the whole deconstruction of society that happens when things change.

First of all please DONT post any spoilers in this thread and focus on the perspective behind the fictional story.

What I noticed is that people change when social constructions are removed, your mail delivery guy can turn into a savage alpha leader for a gang with no sort of ethical repercussions, the person convicted of murder or rape can turn out to be a decent man with ethics. 

It really just narrows down to how illusion social constructs are, not to mention how we take everything today for granted, our food, shelter, relationships.

The whole idea of individuality starts to break down and you notice how there is no "Who I am" there is only what is happening. 

Its quite eye opening. 

Edited by avk123
Extra ideas.and stuff

I never watched it myself but this is a really nice realization. 

Just now, Orange said:

I never watched it myself but this is a really nice realization. 

Again dont focus on the zombie and the action scenes.

Focus instead of how the character's self identification and persona change, how ethics and things we see day to day infront us in the social paradigm dont actually exist. 

Its quite fascinating

1 hour ago, avk123 said:

Again dont focus on the zombie and the action scenes.

Focus instead of how the character's self identification and persona change, how ethics and things we see day to day infront us in the social paradigm dont actually exist. 

Its quite fascinating

Yes, definitely. Do you have a particular scene in mind? I don' t feel like watching the whole thing but if you can think of a sequence in the series where what you said is illustrated i will be very interested to look at it. 

I also highly recommend Breaking Bad!! That show is about the dark side of the authentic self and the authentic self being fully realized. Walter White starts out in a midlife crisis and when he becomes Heisenberg, he becomes uninhibited and consumed by megalomania and pride! The show is about the dark side of the authentic self and how the higher self can be corrupted and it's also about the dark side of the authentic self. Walter White is one of the most fascinating characters EVER and you can relate deeply to him! Like Walter, i was in that quarter life/midlife crisis and i had that wake up call and that deep desire to change. I feel like the authentic Zane is like a massive and glowing sun that is cutting through the bullshit of the thick fog and clouds. I love pondering the question "how is a quarter life/midlife crisis/identity crisis created? What are the signs and emotions of the crisis? How can you break out of a crisis?" 

Edited by Zane

@avk123 Have a look at Abraham Maslow's papers, will make it even more interesting from the psychological point of view. :D

On 11/5/2016 at 7:41 PM, Orange said:

Yes, definitely. Do you have a particular scene in mind? I don' t feel like watching the whole thing but if you can think of a sequence in the series where what you said is illustrated i will be very interested to look at it. 

I am still on the second season starting now, 

Well I realize that alot of the actions and reactions of the individuals portrayed in the series are a projection of the writers of the story, however it still projects an immersive thought reaction to "what would people do" given the scenario of survival.

It really just fascinates me that ethics and morality are absolutely subjective, it depends on what given scenario at what given situation sort of to speak.

What Im trying to critisize here is the whole concept of absolute morality that has no factual basis, example, in today's world of social media, give the huge intersection between different cultures of thinking, we get alot and alot of perception on a single given scenario, if for example I post a picture of a puppy with his head cut off, you would find alot of reaction going haywire, however ofcourse it all depends given the situation.

Maybe im facing my own sort of inner struggle here, and I really appreciate the fact that im being so vulnerable about posting online to a group of strangers I never met, but I realize that there is no really a solid white or black in this world. Ugh, anyway I guess im justing ranting my own inner projection on this thread now, so let me go back to the top.

People would do anything to survive, and it seems ethics are just there to comfort both parties heading in the same direction of perception of survival. 

18 hours ago, avk123 said:

I am still on the second season starting now, 

Well I realize that alot of the actions and reactions of the individuals portrayed in the series are a projection of the writers of the story, however it still projects an immersive thought reaction to "what would people do" given the scenario of survival.

It really just fascinates me that ethics and morality are absolutely subjective, it depends on what given scenario at what given situation sort of to speak.

What Im trying to critisize here is the whole concept of absolute morality that has no factual basis, example, in today's world of social media, give the huge intersection between different cultures of thinking, we get alot and alot of perception on a single given scenario, if for example I post a picture of a puppy with his head cut off, you would find alot of reaction going haywire, however ofcourse it all depends given the situation.

Maybe im facing my own sort of inner struggle here, and I really appreciate the fact that im being so vulnerable about posting online to a group of strangers I never met, but I realize that there is no really a solid white or black in this world. Ugh, anyway I guess im justing ranting my own inner projection on this thread now, so let me go back to the top.

People would do anything to survive, and it seems ethics are just there to comfort both parties heading in the same direction of perception of survival. 

These are all valid points; during the holocaust it was morally acceptable and even encouraged to expose Jews and hand them over to authorities. In this context discrimination and violence against a group of people was approved under legislation. This type of morality was acceptable because it was serving the ones in power. If people cut off a jew's head and posted it, would it instill any reaction from the public of those times?  

The same dynamics occur in all other contexts of domination of one group over another: slavery during the 17th and 18th centuries; native american persecution etc.

And it is happening today in for e.g  islamic states where normal might mean stoning your woman to death if she doesn't want to marry you or in societies where morality is about crying over a decapitated puppy picture and being indifferent to the miserable life and slaughter of millions of cows. 

Afghan women are good potential wives. Puppies are cute friends. Cows are good hamburgers. Blacks are good cotton harvesters etc etc etc

See this is the dynamic i'm talking about. Morality looks a lot like a self serving thing. And you pointed it out yourself very well; it isn't anywhere in reality. 

I guess you and I can only be grateful we don't live in an alien invasion context where being a human is a fundamental flaw that needs discrimination. 

Just now, Orange said:

These are all valid points; during the holocaust it was morally acceptable and even encouraged to expose Jews and hand them over to authorities. In this context discrimination and violence against a group of people was approved under legislation. This type of morality was acceptable because it was serving the ones in power. If people cut off a jew's head and posted it, would it instill any reaction from the public of those times?  

The same dynamics occur in all other contexts of domination of one group over another: slavery during the 17th and 18th centuries; native american persecution etc.

And it is happening today in for e.g  islamic states where normal might mean stoning your woman to death if she doesn't want to marry you or in societies where morality is about crying over a decapitated puppy picture and being indifferent to the miserable life and slaughter of millions of cows. 

Afghan women are good potential wives. Puppies are cute friends. Cows are good hamburgers. Blacks are good cotton harvesters etc etc etc

See this is the dynamic i'm talking about. Morality looks a lot like a self serving thing. And you pointed it out yourself very well; it isn't anywhere in reality. 

I guess you and I can only be grateful we don't live in an alien invasion context where being a human is a fundamental flaw that needs discrimination. 

I understand,

However given that Morality is really an illusory concept, it is hard and effort taking to battle the majority of the world on a concept.

I personally struggle to keep reminding people that concepts such as patriotism , beauty. religion, and other aspects dont exist.

I understand that for many of them its a way of survival, but the problem occurs really when they frame of the world starts to break through yours.

I see the world of thoughts and thoughts and frame of frames being thrown from different individuals upon the next, and people with similar views end up being what we refer to as friends. 

Take this forum for example, it basically lays out the external of what we can define as reality as it is, however if your going to enter a political forum or a religious forum, most of the information being posted is considered irrelevant, not to say that which is right and wrong, its just a situation of the matter, and each viewer is trying to perceive what in his mind gives him the best levels of happiness and survival.

I really who wonder, who the fuck framed us in such a dysfunctional way ? who made us feel pain and fear ? I know its  a question that may never be answered but I think it is a question that would help, who do we blame for making us feel both sadness and happiness ? who is out there ? if there is such a concept, please give me the answer what is out there ? speak to me lol