Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MonikaBcn

Bringing The Best Out Of Employees

5 posts in this topic

Do you Leo or other businesspeople here use any techinques to motivate or ¨coach¨ your emplyees?

I´m working with a very nice sales guy, he´s a great guy but (I guess bcz of what happened in his life) he´s quite pessimistic and rather expects the worst not the best outcome. I was wondering how to make him believe in people and in himself more :) It´s not like his attitude is the worst, but it could certainly be better.

Edited by MonikaBcn

Just walk the walk.

Don't focus on 'changing' him.  As a supervisor, your job is to enable your employees with the tools to succeed.  Set clear expectations.  Be consistent.  And of course lead by example with kindness, courtesy, and respect.  The rest is up to them, these are adults we're talking about after all.

Yet its funny when you see other employees doing things that are wrong in the same department you work in.  One guy is always 25 minutes late and never gets in trouble for it.  I was asked to come in early to cover for him.  The thing is, the team lead who asked me is always late herself!  She can't talk to him about being late if she doesn't lead by example.  The irony of this hit me today, so now I guess I'll say no from now on.  If no one else cares, am I supposed to?  Not exactly receiving any thanks covering for my slacker coworkers.  Anyone else out there run into work issues like this?

While talking with someone who is being pessimistic, I try to make a conscious effort to respond with optimism. It may not be as effective as saying "hey, stop being so negative," but it can sometimes steer the conversation in a more positive direction, and I believe it is a humble approach. This approach also helps to keep you personally more optimistic.