Grant6

Expectations From Therapy

3 posts in this topic

Is it wrong to expect therapy to solve all my problems? At least all of my emotional problems? And also, when I go (I've been going for 2 weeks now) I have stuff to talk about, but I don't know if it's really going anywhere. And even in everyday life I'm not sure what's actually bothering me. I know something is wrong because I always feel so sad or there's feelings of "life sucks," in the background sometimes. And this sadness gets in the way of my personality, intimate relationship, behaviors, motivation, confidence, etc. And I'm aware of my bad habit cycles (emotional reactions, etc.) and stuff but whenever I talk about it it always comes out very vague even though in my head it sounds like I've gotten pretty specific, so it's difficult to get anywhere in that way too. So there is definitely something wrong but I'm just afraid that my therapy sessions will go nowhere because of these issues of vagueness and not really knowing what my problem is myself (besides depression). How do I know where to look to release all this sadness/depression, and should I expect therapy to resolve all my problems in the first place? 

On 25.10.2016 at 7:55 PM, Grant6 said:

Is it wrong to expect therapy to solve all my problems?

There's nothing "wrong", watch out for those labels. And no, therapy won't solve all of your problems.

At least all of my emotional problems?

Most likely not, if you don't have a meditation habit I definitely recommend starting one. It can greatly reduce your suffering ( & end it ) and raise your concentration, sensory clarity and equanimity levels. ( less emotional problems )

And this sadness gets in the way of my personality, intimate relationship, behaviors, motivation, confidence, etc.

There's no point in trying to escape suffering, you will continue suffering. Stop identifying with the sadness, the only reason you suffer is because you identify with impermanence.

How do I know where to look to release all this sadness/depression

Try talking to people you're close to and comfortable talking with about this. 

Best of luck with your therapy!

[insert quote here]

Sometimes you just need to do something instead of always thinking of doing something. 

First thing i would say is get rid of the list of requirements you have for being happy. You can be happy right now if you want.